EMC AppSync Review

Automation is the word. All tasks are performed without user intervention.

What is most valuable?

The EMC RM is a very useful technology for consistent data replicas for a significant application portfolio like MS SQL, MS Exchange, Oracle DB etc. Our customers are using RM mostly for backup offloading, data analysis (by making an automated database clone) and so on. Automation is the word. All tasks are performed without user intervention, for example at night. And also it is very reliable solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Not mine, but customers. As I said, mostly the automated process of data movement like databases for analysis, testing and development. It allows customers to focus on the application and database, not on servers and storage infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

The product needs to be less complex (compatibility, solution enabler etc.). Nowadays the AppSync seems to look very good.

I've been using the solution for about 5 years.

Sometimes, mostly caused by compatibility issues.

Yes, as an IT consultant I'm using Appsync from EMC which is partly a RM replacement and also Netapp's SnapManager product family with Netapp storage arrays.

It's a bit complex, you have to check compatibility twice for all products involved.

I'm a consultant so I'm implementing RM as part of our solutions to the customers. So the question is not relevant to me.

It depends on what is RM used for but generally we have good customers replies on investment returns.

It's easy to evaluate the product without buying it so take the chance and try it.

There are always other options but with EMC storage on the backend, this is the only solution (with AppSync) with automated processing and support for many current applications.