EMC AppSync Review
Automation is the word. All tasks are performed without user intervention.

Valuable Features:

The EMC RM is a very useful technology for consistent data replicas for a significant application portfolio like MS SQL, MS Exchange, Oracle DB etc. Our customers are using RM mostly for backup offloading, data analysis (by making an automated database clone) and so on. Automation is the word. All tasks are performed without user intervention, for example at night. And also it is very reliable solution.

Improvements to My Organization:

Not mine, but customers. As I said, mostly the automated process of data movement like databases for analysis, testing and development. It allows customers to focus on the application and database, not on servers and storage infrastructure.

Room for Improvement:

The product needs to be less complex (compatibility, solution enabler etc.). Nowadays the AppSync seems to look very good.

Use of Solution:

I've been using the solution for about 5 years.

Deployment Issues:

Sometimes, mostly caused by compatibility issues.

Stability Issues:

Scalability Issues:

Previous Solutions:

Yes, as an IT consultant I'm using Appsync from EMC which is partly a RM replacement and also Netapp's SnapManager product family with Netapp storage arrays.

Initial Setup:

It's a bit complex, you have to check compatibility twice for all products involved.

Implementation Team:

I'm a consultant so I'm implementing RM as part of our solutions to the customers. So the question is not relevant to me.

ROI:

It depends on what is RM used for but generally we have good customers replies on investment returns.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

It's easy to evaluate the product without buying it so take the chance and try it.

Other Solutions Considered:

There are always other options but with EMC storage on the backend, this is the only solution (with AppSync) with automated processing and support for many current applications.