F5 VIPRION (EOL) Review

Excellent for internal business core applications and has the ability to scale up as necessary

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for an internet application called MyPension.be, where every Belgian citizen can search for information regarding his employment and pension. That's the primary application.

In addition, we use the solution for our internal business core application. We have 2,600 internal and external users. Theoretically, there are 10 million potential users but most don't access it. We've had times when we've broken records, and that's usually connected to publicity in the press.

What needs improvement?

The most significant improvement would be to make the product cheaper.

For additional features, it's currently unfortunate that the network firewall isn't really a next-generation firewall. If that were included, then we wouldn't have taken on Fortinet as well. Our problem is that we have a relatively small number of staff that is continually being reduced. It's easier to deal with one product and several screens rather than two products, Fortinet and F5. The inverse is also true, if Fortinet was a stronger product, then we probably wouldn't have taken F5.

We've been using the product for six years.

We had one problem with stability five or six years ago when we first started with VIPRION but since then it's been fine.

The product is scalable. We are using the basic VIPRION server. There are several levels of the module so a company can upgrade if necessary and the module we currently use can be scaled further. We started with the first module, and then migrated to the second. We can expand further if necessary. When we upgraded it was to give better support to cell traffic.

We generally rely on an integrator for support. We have several good specialists so rarely need to contact technical support. If there's a problem we make contact and open a ticket. We've worked with several integrators and we're satisfied with every one of them.

The first step was the most difficult with the setup because we were starting from scratch with a new solution. By the time we went from Big-IP to VIPRION, it was less difficult and the migration was done by an integrator. We're not technical specialists so an integrator was necessary. We are using it and managing it, and we can change the policies and things like that, but when we have to do a big migration an integrator is essential.

What other advice do I have?

For others wishing to implement, you need to be very clear about what you want to do, how you want to protect your data and then search for a solution. It could be F5 or something else. When we asked for a review of the product, we provided a description of the features we wanted, and they proposed F5 and Fortinet for the same money. I think Fortinet has fewer features than F5.

Fortinet is okay, although it does require two appliances so if you also want a low bouncer you have to buy for the low bouncer and Fortinet. When you take F5 only one appliance is necessary and it's a simple configuration. When you low bounce it, you create your virtual server and it's very simple to connect or configure a security policy on top of that.
I would rate this product a nine out of 10.

Private Cloud
More F5 VIPRION (EOL) reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about F5, Citrix, Radware and others in Application Delivery Controllers (ADC). Updated: June 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.