F5 VIPRION Review

Easy to use, good performance, and the SSL upload capability is helpful

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we deploy for our customers. I have deployed VIPRON six different times so far. Our customers are in the banking industry.

Our clients primarily use this solution in core banking for handling card-based transactions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the SSL upload. It is very useful.

The performance is good.

It is easy to use and it doesn't take much experience.

Customization is very good.

What needs improvement?

The pricing for this solution should be reduced so that it can be more competitive.

I have been working with F5 VIPRON since 2015.

The stability of F5 is great.

This solution is for big clients in industries such as banking, finance, and the stock market. Small companies do not use it at all.

Technical support from F5 is good, and the community support is very good as well. You can search the community for issues, documentation, deployment models, and so forth. It is very useful.

I have also worked with the Citrix application delivery controller (ADC), and am familiar with A10. I think that F5 and Citrix are at the top of this market.

This product is quite easy to deploy. The only thing that you need expertise in is Azure so that you can fully integrate it into the system.

The length of time required for deployment depends on the environment. For large systems, it will take three or four weeks to deploy. Smaller systems will take perhaps two.

Three teams contribute to the deployment including the F5 engineer, who is familiar with the device, the F5 application team, and the infrastructure team. At least four or five people are involved.

The price of this solution can be quite high, and it is determined based on the size that is required for the environment.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson that I have learned from working with this product is that the sizing must be correct, which is because of the cost of the device and the license. We sometimes have problems because pre-sales engineers will suggest a lower model to save on costs, but this results in substandard performance that cannot handle the level of throughput and concurrent connections. It is very important to have the sizing assessed properly.

Overall, I think that the product is very good and our only complaint is about the pricing.

More F5 VIPRION reviews from users
...who compared it with F5 BIG-IP
Find out what your peers are saying about F5, Citrix, Radware and others in Application Delivery Controllers. Updated: January 2021.
456,966 professionals have used our research since 2012.