Gemalto Protiva Review

Strong authentication permits our organization to improve security.

What is most valuable?

Protiva is a suite of security tools (hardware and software) that permit you to implement the strong authentication based on OTP (One Time Password), Smart card with digital certificate and Biometric authentication.

The most valuable feature, for me, is the full Microsoft native support and the possibility to integrate the Smart-card Authentication (based on digital certificate) in many authentication mechanisms like Domain log-on, VPN log-on, Custom Application with Secure Digital Key, digital signature, etc. – the integration has been very easy.

The Gemalto Protiva suite is really complete as it has smart card managed software, Secure Digital Key, drivers, smart card reader, smart card, OTP readers etc. If you looking for strong authentication, Gemalto can help you.

How has it helped my organization?

Strong authentication permits our organization to improve security.

For four years.

No, it was very easy to introduce the strong authentication in our domain.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

Gemalto Technical support is very professional and very quick in giving you a good answer and solving any issues that you encounter with their devices or software.

No previous solution was used.

The initial setup was very easy, we have deployed the smart card reader driver on all machines by using our software distribution platform. We have configured properly the Microsoft certification authority to auto enroll the user certificates and then the users are ready to use their smart-cards.

We implemented it in-house.

It is not easy to calculate the ROI when you implement a security solution. However, the value of the solution is high because our data and communications are very important to us.

Approximately €8,000 in a company with 100 employees - the cost covers the smart-card, the smart-reader, .net and implementation costs.

No other options evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

Gemalto is one of the leader of the strong authentication solution so it’s a good choice if you need to integrate in your business process the strong authentication.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We were the Gemalto Italian Distributor until 2011.