GFI Vipre [EOL] Review

The premium version blocks websites which has greatly reduced viruses with less educated users.

What is our primary use case?

We use this product with all of our customers to keep them protected from unwanted applications and viruses.

How has it helped my organization?

We have Vipre Business Premium for all our customers. With the email alerts and reporting reveals the most problematic users. We incorporate a proactive service to review and reveal these issues.

The Premium version also blocks websites which has greatly reduced viruses with less educated users. We had a few users getting 30k viruses a quarter and after upgrading to premium they reduced their count to 10-20.

We also use this solution in house and we have very educated consultants that I configure a very loose profile for. They are responsible for their own scans so they wont run during their times of consulting and have full control over their client.

Meanwhile I have customers that know nothing and I implement a very strict policy.

What is most valuable?

- Server/Client based
- Separate profiles to be applied to different computers
- Detailed reporting
- Email alerts
- Website blocker
- Removable device scanning
- Push install to clients

What needs improvement?

I conclude that the virus counts and data are stored locally instead of on the server. So when reporting all the data is pulled from the client. We clear the virus count every quarter when we perform our proactives. Doing so clears all the data for the reports as well. If that data indeed is kept on the server then they should not clear the data for reporting history.

Pushing the client doesn't always work.

Occasionally the clients do not update properly and need manual updates to be performed.

I would also like to see a cloud solution.

Three to five years.

None

Our largest install has 120 computers with no issues.

8 out of 10. I have contacted support maybe twice in 5 years. Its been awhile but I believe it went well.

8 out of 10

Trend Micro, Symantec, and AVG. At the time cost and footprint was smaller then the other options. This may have changed over the years.

Very straight forward installation.

Implemented the solution ourselves

We purchase a 3 year license for each customer and mark it up to our customers.

Pricing is extremely reasonable when purchasing the 3 year license. They will send out reminders when your renewal is up. All the quoting can be done online and does not necessarily require a sales person. (I love that.)

What other advice do I have?

Very simple, feature rich, low cost solution.

4 Comments
author avatarICT Manager at a engineering company with 51-200 employees
TOP 20Real User

Thx for the write up, GFI is a good company with good products. My preference remains panda endpoint security. Of 250 nodes issues are very minimal -pricing is above norm and can escalate should you go the adaptive defense route, but is an excellent product trialed it for a few months.

author avatarNetwork Engineer at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees

I love this product will not every go back to SEP

author avatarICT Manager at a engineering company with 51-200 employees
TOP 20Real User

Just switched to logicnow maxfocus. Integrated system.

author avatarChris Childerhose
TOP REVIEWERELITE SQUADReal User

Nice review. Good to see AV products as we use SEP but are going to switch next year and will keep this in mind.