Grooper Review

Good image processing and OCR capabilities, lots of flexibility with extractors, helpful support

What is our primary use case?

We use Grooper to extract data from scanned documents, perform data validation, and import it into various databases.

A couple of specific uses are:

1. Extract data from invoices and validate the item costs against a price list database table, and generate a report for management to discuss issues with the vendor.
  2. Reading through oil and gas leases and related documents, extracting out certain pieces of information and clauses for review by an analyst, and then formatting it for import into the land records database.

How has it helped my organization?

Using Grooper has sped up our data entry process between two and eight times, depending on the exact process.

It has allowed us to expand our service offerings, as well.

We are able to get work done for clients faster with confidence. A lot of things can speed up a process, but few can speed up a process while maintaining or even improving accuracy.

There is some "startup time" to get the new process in place, but we quickly see that time returned by the improved process. We've been able to get very detailed with our process optimizations.

What is most valuable?

1. There is a lot of flexibility with extractors. There are many options and customizations that you can make to each individual extractor that allows you to tweak it for exactly what you need. You can then create a collection of extractors for a single field with rules about which one(s) to prefer.
  2. Image processing and OCR. Technically these are two different segments of the platform, but they can be interdependent. Being able to clean up a document before OCRing it and having multiple OCR options lets us get the best results for each document.

What needs improvement?

If Grooper could "sense" important fields on the document and auto-build extractors for them, that'd be really cool. They do have an "Infer Grid" method for tables, but it only works with specific types of tables.

We have been using Grooper for one and a half years.

The product is very stable and displays decent error codes.

It is incredibly scalable. We build all of our models with a small data set and then run large ones through them. For example, models built using about 500 revenue statements have now processed thousands.

The customer support has been excellent!  They have a wiki, a forum, email support, and phone support.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

It was very straightforward to get installed, but using it does take training.

We deployed in-house. It was that easy.

Know how many pages you will be needing to process, as the pricing is based on that.

We did look at a few other options, namely Automation Anywhere, DocView, and ThoughtTrace.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure the UI could be improved, as any changes might make it harder to use or more overwhelming. Usually, the easier you make common tasks, the harder you make it to perform more advanced functions.

Overall, this solution is great!

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company has a special services agreement - but personally I am just a user.
Learn what your peers think about Grooper. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,226 professionals have used our research since 2012.