HVR Software Review

Has one central interface that manages everything and is easy and quick to set up

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using the private model of this solution. It is CDC and we take data from an OLTP system to populate a data warehouse and to populate a reporting system.

What is most valuable?

The ease of usability is the most valuable feature. It's very easy and quick to set up. It also has a central hub as opposed to GoldenGate which is one direct interface. For GoldenGate I would have needed three interfaces whereas with HVR I have a central interface that manages everything.

What needs improvement?

We have a number of connections to heterogeneous databases and that could be expanded on. One of the databases is an additional database that should be coming online but there is some difficulty with it. Other than this, in comparison to other products it's competing with, including Oracle, it beats them hands down for everything, including the price.

I would like for them to incorporate additional transformations. A valuable aspect of the product is that it does inflight transformations and that could be expanded.

We are in the process of going live with this solution. We're testing it now.

Their technical support is excellent, better than Oracle. The online support is very good but equally, their support is immediate and willing. Up until now, they have taken our suggestions and considered incorporating them into the next version.

The initial setup was straightforward.

The pricing is considerably less than its competitor, GoldenGate. One of the things that we liked about it and that sold us on it, is that we only licensed production and it then enabled us to install the product on any other non-production. Whereas with Oracle, it's in every environment. In the three environments that I have HVR, I only need to license production. Whereas with Oracle I would've had to license all three environments.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest not to discount it because of its low price and small company. Most of the technicians are ex-Oracle employees and they have a passion for data transformations and data support. They are very proactive which is a breath of fresh air when you compare it with Oracle support.

I would rate it 8.5 out of ten.