Ixia BreakingPoint Review

​Technical support was very quick and precise, and initial setup is straightforward

What is most valuable?

Application Simulator: For simulation of Layer 7 traffic over LTE Network elements.

How has it helped my organization?

BPS VE evaluation was used for testing LTE Network elements with a focus on user plane testing BPS VE along with its UI and new concepts to reduce the complexity of manual testing to a large extent. BPS VE provides the scope to automate the tests using REST API or Tcl API, which can improve the quality and speed of testing.

What needs improvement?

Currently BPS VE's REST API was just developed (some specific functionalities are implemented) and can be improved for better control over the tool using scripts, which help in test automation.

We used this product as a subject of our master thesis for four months.

We performed test cases with durations of four hours, eight hours, 12 hours, and 24 hours with good stability results.

Being a virtual tool, it inherits the benefits of virtualization. Scale out in terms of traffic generation blades is much easier compared to its physical version. The only limiting factor, in terms of scalability, is that you have the number of licenses required to run the tests.

Technical support was very quick and precise when we were in need of help. Ixia had helped us with installation and also trained us with respect to the tool.

No. We didn’t use a different solution prior to BPS VE.

Initial setup was pretty straightforward in terms of setting up the tool in the lab environment and also configuring the network neighbourhood in an LTE Network. BPS VE simplifies the test simulation with its concepts, such as Network Neighbourhood and superflows. BPS VE is provided with a good collections of examples which can be modified for quick testing.

What other advice do I have?

We did not had the chance to evaluate all the products available in the market, but the performance of BPS VE, it was very satisfying.