LogRhythm NextGen SIEM Review

Enables our IT staff to be more proactive, fix problems, instead of waiting for end user calls

Video Review:

How has it helped my organization?

Not just for security but from an operational standpoint as well. Perhaps an end user would call with a particular problem - "I can't print in this" - and, during the investigation of that, we could find perhaps there was a log message that was generated, an error from that application. Then we could create a rule, quickly and say, "Any time that you see that log generate an alert..."

It enables our IT staff to be a lot more proactive, to fix problems, instead of having to wait for the end user to call and say something is not working.

What is most valuable?

The scalability. We had a huge problem with that before. Now, we can quickly search through all of our logs. If we have an issue that, perhaps there's something suspicious from a particular host, we can quickly go through there and search all the logs for anything that had to do with that host for a specific time frame, and anything coming to or from that host, or if it's a user, or whatever it is. Investigations, its really been helpful for.

What needs improvement?

It's not necessarily bad against LogRhythm, but I think an area that always can be improved is the parsing rules. The more information that we can get out of the logs, as far as specific metadata in the logs, whether it's an IP address, or something like that. Sometimes, LogRhythm will parse the rule but perhaps it won't get every little detail out of the rule.

Any advancement in those, could be very helpful to be able to correlate those logs against other items. Especially for items that are a little less - "mainstream" may not be the right word - that are not necessarily a top-tier vendor. Perhaps, instead of Cisco, it's a different firewall vendor. Those sorts of things, that sometimes we run into an issue where the log parsing is suboptimal. It could be a little bit better, could be some improvements there.

We have about 550 users and 150 servers or so, and I think we're feeding in approximately 800 logs per second on average, into LogRhythm. We haven't had any problems with scalability. It chews through the logs, and our searches are pretty quick, they're very responsive.

Fortunately, we haven't had to deal with them a lot, but when we have we've had really good luck with them. They have always been very knowledgeable, quick to solve our problems, very responsive. They'll follow up if there is a delay, perhaps they're still researching the solution. They're always quick to reply back and say, "Hey, I haven't forgot about you, it's still with the developers." Fortunately, we haven't had many issues with the product.

We were using a different SIEM tool before. It's probably not really fair to call it a SIEM. It just really wasn't quite robust, it was more of a log collection tool. The system worked fine, we could create some basic events from a single log: "You see this log, fire an alarm off of it," or something like that; not really correlation per se.

We had issues with scalability with it. We could stand it up for about a month, and then after about a month, as the database started getting full, then trying to do searches and things like that, it was too slow. So you would have to clear out the database, start again, and again it would work for about a month.

Yes we did, unfortunately I don't recall exactly which other ones we looked at, but we had a number of different demos with other vendors and, obviously, chose LogRhythm.

What other advice do I have?

We are really happy with the product. We've been a customer for a number of years now and really haven't had any issues. It's done just about everything we ask it to do.