LogRhythm NextGen SIEM Review

Deeper look into our applications helps us see configuration errors, enhancing security

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is looking at our security as a whole, as an organization, trying to get all the logs collected, see how things can be integrated or what's happening through the different products. We also use it to see how people are trying to potentially circumvent security and what we can do to prevent people from doing that. Finally, we use it to get training out to end-users for certain things that they may be doing inaccurately.

We don't currently use the full-spectrum analytics or the built-in playbooks.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits are having a deeper look into some of the applications, what's happening within them and possibly seeing configuration errors, enhancing not only the security but the functionality of different applications.

It has also provided us with increased staff productivity through orchestrated, automated workflows.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the alarms, and some of the reporting features in the product are great. The web interface is awesome, it's very intuitive and gives a lot of great information.

So far the stability has been great. No issues whatsoever.

We're actually going through an expansion at the beginning of next month and it seems to be fairly easy.

We have used technical support in the past and it hasn't been an issue. They get back with us fairly quickly. Great people to talk to, very knowledgeable.

We were using another product before, McAfee Nitro SIEM, and that product was just getting too hard to maintain. We had other people on the team and within the organization who had used LogRhythm in the past, so it came highly recommended. We checked into it, checked reviews on some of the different vendors, and LogRhythm is the one that came out on top.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

In terms of the deployment and maintenance of the solution, for us right now, it was very light staff for the setup. It was two or three people that racked and stacked the servers. Once that is done, you don't really need them anymore. For maintenance, we've got two or three people on staff who manage and maintain it.

What other advice do I have?

I'd highly recommend going with the product.

Our security program is pretty much in its infancy. We're always looking to improve things. Just as IT, in general, constantly changes on a daily basis, LogRhythm is always evolving and coming out with different things, helping with innovation. It's been great.

Right now we have roughly 70 to 80 different log sources. We have about 5,000 to 6,000 events per second, and we're looking at expanding that.

I rate it at eight out of ten. It's up there, top-of-the-line, but just like with any other application or program, as you grow, there are going to be some small hiccups. They're very minor.