LogRhythm NextGen SIEM Review

The customer support is friendly, attentive, and willing to help

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the LogRhythm SIEM for the law collection aggregation for all of our Windows machines. We have all our firewalls sending logs to it. We have it hooked into Office 365 with the API to manage our cloud environment, and it's performed phenomenally.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the reporting tools. A lot of times as security, we are tasked with explaining to management and the executives how the security program is going, what our concerns are, and if we want to get anything out of them as far as budget to fix some issues. We have to be able to show the evidence, and LogRhythm does a great job of putting it forward and making it easy to create reports with nice looking dashboards, which show off what we are doing as a security program.

It has been completely stable. We have had it in for a little over a year now, fully in production, and it has never gone down once.

The only thing we had an issue with was when I tweaked the AI roles to basically fire on everything, which then caused a lot of accelerated rollover in our events. This was simply user configuration, and not anything on the LogRhythm side. It has been a very stable solution the whole time that we've had it in.

We are currently in the process of upscaling our current LogRhythm instead of buying a new one, which is really beneficial.

I don't know what they do on the back-end as far as the algorithm for crunching logs and keeping everything small and compact, but we haven't had any problems with the sizing. With some of the other systems the we have used, we quickly run into the problem where everything gets overblown and you have to go in and filter stuff out. What LogRhythm does that I like is they have all these knowledge base add-ons and modules out-of-the-box. It comes with all these features that you can use and get up off the ground running.

Their customer support is friendly and willing to help. I can't compliment their support staff enough. They've been nothing but helpful. Any questions that we have, they come out and help us, or they email us. It's great to have such an attentive support staff.

Using the community, you can find the answers to any of the problems that you have. Everyone out there is just trying to help each other get better. So, it's really nice.

The installation was a bit complex because we are running a virtual infrastructure. Some of the stuff that we dealt with on the virtual machine and the discs was a little complex. However, the engineers at LogRhythm were more than willing to help. I had a little trouble because I was unfamiliar with the way vSphere works in the way that disk sizing stuff goes to get it setup.

Everything is running on one large virtual machine instance that we have because we have a lot of virtual infrastructure. We help other companies and host their solutions. We are really versed in that. So, we have one huge deployment, and it works really well.

The nice thing about LogRhythm is you can either use the agents, getting a certain number of agents with your license depending on how you want to go, and those agents do a lot of cool things, or you can use CIS Log host, then you have like an unlimited number of them. So, we have used the CIS Log for a lot of ours because it was easy to put into LogRhythm and change the destination of our CIS log solution. Now, our CIS Logs go into LogRhythm, and it's easy. You see them pop up there, then you just accept them as new log sources, and bingo you're in. Now, you're working. So, it is really good.

Where some other engines have been touted as SIEMs, you actually have to do a whole lot of actual engineering work of your own to even get the basic functionality out of them. This is one thing LogRhythm knocks out-of-the-box.

What other advice do I have?

It helps that the product is fully realized and ready to go as soon as you get it installed. You can immediately see results and immediately see the data coming in. You're able to collate and correlate it, obtaining your data in a quick and easy manner.

Do a demo. See what they're offering. Just know that their support is the best.

I haven't used any of the automated playbooks yet. Our engineers are leery about having the automatic stuff go off, which I can understand. We also have separation of duties. I don't have a lot of their credentials to work with it on my own, so we would have to go back and forth with the engineers, and that is something that they don't really want to do. However, we do have our own playbooks and security team, but it's more manual. I am interested in the playbooks feature, so I will attend one of the events here to learn more about it and figure it out, then take it back to the team to get buy in on it, so we can then use it.

We have about 2500 log sources sending logs to LogRhythm right now. We have about 20 firewalls, with a lot of Windows PCs.

It's the best solution that I've ever used. We're expanding its use, not only in our corporate network, but out to the cloud environment where we host customer data stuff, too.