LogRhythm NextGen SIEM Review

We now have a central point of monitoring for all potential threats

What is our primary use case?

It monitors any potential security threats within any of our important network security appliances, like our firewall, or any of our important databases. The idea being that you can't look at all the logs at once, so we now have a central point of monitoring for all potential threats.

How has it helped my organization?

I have been using LogRhythm for just a few months, but the college has had it for over a year. Until I worked with it, there was no monitoring it and the solution just sat there. The solution is just picking up speed now.

What is most valuable?

• The threat analytics
  • Seeing what potentially could be happening; what are the riskiest things going on.

What needs improvement?

I would like it to do a lot of the automation (which I still need to learn more about), because I am essentially a one man shop doing all the jobs. I'd like for it to be able to do more for me, so I can focus my attention on my other job responsibilities, because there are a lot of them.

Less than one year.

The only issues that we have had with it were Windows-based. The actual appliance has been up and continuously logging everything that we have, and CIS logging through it. There have been no signs of any problems nor instability.

When it comes to dealing with support, all my interactions have been great. Everyone has known what they're doing and have been quick to respond. They seem to always know the answer. I haven't stumped anybody yet. That's not something that I typically encounter. Usually, I wind up being the person finding the weird thing where people have to get back to me and it is left up to the developers.The few issues that I have had while doing upgrades, LogRhythm's support answered them incredibly quickly.

I have never used a competing product.

What other advice do I have?

I love the potential of this solution. It sounds like a "set it and forget" type of solution. Let it deal with all the problems. It is good at doing that.

On the day-to-day, I haven't had a huge amount of time to work with the full-spectrum analytics. I have been focusing on getting it updated and up-and-running.

Currently, we have a Windows agent. Therefore, we technically have just two log sources, because the Windows agent is picking up all the domain logs onto one box and forwarding them on. It is taking all the Windows Servers and single-sourcing them. Then, currently, the only other thing that we have actively logging is our Sonic logs and CIS logs. We only have two individual sources listed, but it is more logs than that.