LogRhythm NextGen SIEM Review

The most valuable features for me is just to be able know who's in the network, being able to drill down on the alarms and being able to look at the different rules

Video:

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is to basically monitor the network to make sure that we don't have unknown users or individuals that should not be in our network. So we use it basically to aggregate our logs within our system and to watch it for possible threats.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the organization a great deal. Now we're able to see what activity that's actually being used, or what activity is actually being found in the network. So we're monitoring our firewall systems and different areas like that. So it's a great help to us because we're able to see whatever that's out there that would not have been seen previously because it aggregates all the logs together and it flags us according to the alerts that are being triggered at that time.

Right now we have just grown to eight security analysts in our group, but all have different roles. Now there's two individuals that's mainly responsible for SIEM and that's myself and my coworker and he's been cross trained. He just recently went through the LogRhythm University training which is great. So right now we do have about four analysts in this system but the main number is two.

Currently we haven't seen a measurable mean time to detect because we're not using that at this time. But after this session, we will probably go ahead and start using that for metrics.

Our security improvement or maturity level definitely has increased. We started out with three security analysts and it has grown to eight. LogRhythm has improved it because we're able to see much more data. We're able to see much more of what's out there, what type of threats we're encountering, different things like that. So it's been a great improvement.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for me is just to be able know who's in the network, being able to drill down on the alarms, to being able to look at the different rules or whatever that's been impacted within the network for anyone being in the network.

At this point we don't use the full spectrum of analytics. We're still fairly new and trying to tweak our system to get the information that we want out of it. So we're still at the beginning stage.

We are not using the playbooks, we're still on a version that doesn't support them. But yes, after going through the session today, the preview session, we definitely want to use the playbooks.

What needs improvement?

For me, room for improvement is the upgrade process. Whenever we have to do an upgrade to the next version, we're a little nervous and apprehensive about that.

Stability, it's very stable within our organization. What we're at is 7.25 right now, we do wanna go up to 7.4. we're a little nervous about that at the point because it's so new but eventually we will make that jump.

Scalability is very good for us. We are able to use it in different areas within the organization. Different groups and stuff like that.

I have used tech support in the past and it is great. I definitely recommend tech support, we do go to the community first but with me, when I was first introduced to the SIEM LogRhythm, I was new to the environment and so I leaned on tech support to help me understand the environment, and as I was making those calls with them I was like "Okay, teach me like I'm a two year old. Walk me through this so I can do this on my own."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I rate LogRhythm as a nine because it is a wonderful tool that definitely helps with identifying different threats within the organization. I would definitely recommend this tool. It's a very, I would say beasty application, you always will be on top of things when it comes to LogRhythm because it's always changing, but that's a good thing because the environment, the threat environment is always changing. So I'd definitely highly recommend it.

The target I would give to an individual that's looking for the best SIEM tools to put in their environment would be definitely look at one that's growing, that's not stagnant and LogRhythm is definitely one of those too that look for ways to improve it, user friendly and the different things that's out there in the environment to be able to catch the types of the bad guys or the different threats. They always try to stay on top of things. So I definitely recommend LogRhythm in that case.