McAfee Application Control Review

Has signatures for different kinds of protocols but the licensing model is confusing

What is our primary use case?

We implement this solution and we also use it. We get product exposure because we are the activation service.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the whitelisting. I can test the applications and we can also predefine rules for Windows, rules for the application and control. We need to define the application that we need to use ie; the folders, the application resolution we need to allow.

We also like the Change Control. We can control how things get executed. It has signatures for different kinds of protocols.

What needs improvement?

It should have more monitoring on the modes. You can observe what other applications are running and you can create the policies for the application controls. You should have the option of creating the policy so that it will be easier for user to configure.

The intrusion detection features should also be improved. It is a very good feature but it should be maximized. It should be for intrusion prevention also. When you want to prevent an intrusion, then that application should be quarantined. But in the field I'm working in, I can't do that because it can quarantine my system as well. It should be able to detect any anomaly and malicious communication that is happening between two PCs.

I have been using McAfee for six months.

I haven't had any issues with stability or scalability.

The initial setup is not straightforward, it was complex.

The manuals don't have all the information you need to deploy it. That makes it complex. If it would convey the processes in a better, standard way, it would simplify the process.

We integrated the solution ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend McAfee. I have used other solutions like Symantec Endpoint and this solution is better.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

We have had issues with licensing. It's confusing. You don't get to choose the parts that you want. It is sold as endpoint control but also with other functions. If you want SQL, it's not available. There are elements that aren't available. They should have a single entity. The licensing model confuses the customers.

Find out what your peers are saying about McAfee, Carbon Black, Ivanti and others in Application Control. Updated: April 2021.
476,483 professionals have used our research since 2012.