McAfee Enterprise Security Manager (McAfee ESM) Review
Adaptive protection learns for itself, but it seems McAfee does not test its product before releasing

How has it helped my organization?

By having access protection in the policies on the machine, it helps in real-time behavior scenarios, where the policy captures stuff, quite a lot.

What is most valuable?

VirusScan Enterprise provides protection against real-time malware attacks.

We use it for logging the network traffic, when required.

It blocks the things which are not to be allowed. It has an adaptive mode where it learns for itself.

What needs improvement?

There are always multiple bugs in the product. For example, the console page was hanging multiple times. Afterwards, they released multiple upgrades for the same, multiple patches from McAfee.

Also, there's no software support from McAfee.

It seems McAfee does not test its product before releasing. When we - not only us, other companies also - deploy McAfee, we face multiple issues from the customer side, after which, McAfee reacts and fixes the bugs.

More than five years.

After the upgrade, it is stable now.

It has good scalability.

Tech support is not good. They don't respond to issues in a timely manner. We need to call up the account managers, and then the engineers will work on it.

We have to wait fairly long. Until we escalate the issue, the call will be still in the pending state, or the hold state.

We switched to them because of the pricing.

It is complex, not straightforward.

For examples, concerning an upgrade, the pre-installer check provided to us before the upgrade was showing the result was "all requirements met." But when we ran the actual installation, it was different.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others, before upgrading, to make sure they know the product that they're upgrading to.

I would rate this product at six out of 10. To bring it to a 10, the most important thing is - given there are lot of bugs, and I understand that - there should be proper support from the vendor site.

1 visitor found this review helpful