McAfee MVISION Mobile Review

A market leader that integrates nicely with other McAfee security products and is quite stable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for threat detection response for mobile devices. That includes malware, antivirus, malicious code, ransomware.

What is most valuable?

Due to the fact that we bought a number of McAfee security products, one of the significant benefits for our company was the integration across multiple security controls. We have a single pane of glass to monitor and administer and manage multiple security controls.

The product is one of the market leaders, according to Gartner, on mobile protection.

Overall, we're quite happy with it.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

The solution can scale as needed.

The solution is quite stable.

The technical support we get from our vendor-partner is quite good.

The product is competitively priced.

What needs improvement?

The one thing that I know that they're working on, that's not quite there in the product, is the artificial intelligence aspect. There is some, and they're enhancing that, however, aside from that piece which is currently lacking, that's really about it.

We've only been using the solution for about three months. It's less than half a year. it hasn't been that long just yet.

The solution is quite stable. In terms of capability, it's one of the market leaders according to Gartner. In terms of stability, we really haven't had anything out of the ordinary happen. There are no bugs or glitches so far. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution is pretty scalable. We have over 10,000 endpoints protected with McAfee, not in terms of the mobile aspect, however, that's part of the overall endpoint protection suite.

As we add more employees or more devices we'll scale up.

Technical support is handled via our partner. They helped us implement and manage the solution. We go through them due to the fact that they manage it. We've had no issues. We've been quite satisfied with their level of support.

We did have another product and it was primarily the capabilities, or lack thereof, that made us switch. The product we were on hadn't evolved and matured like other market-leading endpoint protection products. Therefore, we needed to move on.

MVISION is a full EDR/XDR product. Our previous solution was not.

The initial setup was not overly complex or difficult. It was largely straightforward.

We have close to 10,000 endpoints, and therefore we had a very comprehensive strategy and plan to deploy it.

In terms of maintenance, we outsource the management to the company that helped us implement the solution. It's a fully managed service. In that model, it's about half a headcount on our side. However, our partner manages most of it. It's a completely managed service.

In order to effectively handle the initial setup, we used an integrator. They were a McAfee partner. They were a Canadian company, like us. We had a good experience with them overall. They were quite helpful throughout the process.

I cannot speak to the exact cost of the solution. It's confidential.

That said, of the solutions that we looked at, and we looked at the Microsoft solution in this space, as well as CrowdStrike, and Carbon Black, McAfee was very competitively priced.

We did an extensive RFP process. We did extensive due diligence on Microsoft MCAS, McAfee's MVISION, and Forcepoint CASB.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users.

We are using the most up-to-date version available at this time.

I'd advise potential new users that the key thing is to clearly understand what your requirements are and what your use cases are, and both your business requirements, your technical requirements, and your regulatory requirements. It's important to understand all of those. A company needs to clearly understand all the use cases it needs to manage and make sure they do the appropriate due diligence to find a product that can achieve all those requirements and handle all those use cases.

It was an extensive process for us. We did about four to six months of paper-based due diligence - not even a field trial - to make that we were picking the right product. We leveraged a lot of outside vendor-neutral sources like Gartner.

So far, I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.