McAfee Web Protection Review

Easily blacklist malicious sites both on premise and on the cloud

What is our primary use case?

We are using version 8. It is a Hybrid deployment. McAfee uses its own cloud. We monitor everything that is going outside of the United States, and that's why we can see any communication between our users who are outside of Virginia or the United States. We use it to see the communication between our users and outside the United States. We have almost 700 users. We have different departments and all the users. As well, we include servers for this; that we can block any server trying to talk outside to any site.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the best things we've found is when you are at home, all the rules that we applied here in our facility or our office go to the cloud. The same rules apply to anyone who works at home. And when you're at home and you're trying to say, "Okay, I'm not in the office, I can go to this site." "No." Because the same rules that apply here, also apply there, and we block the ability to go to any site that is found on the blacklist. That's improved a lot lately because now we have almost zero PC compromise.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable is the blocking of blacklisted sites, a URL that is, either by intelligence or by McAfee, detected as a malicious site.

I have used McAfee Web Protection for two years.

We have not had any issues with stability.

The scalability of McAfee Web Protection is excellent.

The technical support is great. When we put in a ticket, they respond in a few hours. If we put in that the server is down, we get a call in half an hour.

I used Sophos before; Sophos Web, as well as the Sophos app. We wanted to expand our capability using other products. And Sophos doesn't give you that capability to do it all. Another thing is, I'm the manager of the operation. And something I don't want is to have so many different parts from different vendors. And then when you want to put in a ticket, now you need to call one vendor, then other vendors. And I was looking to have it all in one place, everything that I need. And McAfee Web Protection gave me that solution.

The initial setup of McAfee Web Protections is straightforward. It took around three days to complete. The implementation strategy was; first, block blacklist all the websites. Second, we move monthly monitoring different sites that people go to or sites that people need to go to, but we detect that it is malicious. Then we make an investigation because we are the entity that makes investigations. Maintenance is every time they update when new versions come out. It takes a few hours. That's another thing that's nice about McAfee Web Protection, it's straightforward. You download the update, put it there, and in a few hours, it is there.

We used a consultant to help us set it up. Unfortunately, he was not that good. They were out of McAfee people. He was a consultant and knew the product, but he was not a McAfee person. How they managed it and how they worked was not straightforward.

I think it's in less than a couple months, we are receiving a return of investment because when we start blocking a malicious site that before was compromised on our computer here, is the time to clean that computer, reimage that computer, we stopped that. That's why we say, the last year we have maybe one or two computers compromised because they go to a bad URL and download an app at work. We detect it fast and block the site. Also, we can control where you go and what you see. If you go to a particular site, we can block videos or pictures. That means the efficiency of our people goes up. Now you have a return of investment because people are not losing their time watching videos through YouTube or other sites and we can control that through the website, through the equipment.

When we started to buy the appliance the starting point was a little expensive. It depends on how people see it. In my case, they give a nice price. We are a government agency and they have a contract with us here in Virginia, they gave a nice discount and everything. We bought two appliances that have enough power for managing almost 30,000 users. We are using less than 1% of capacity. And this was a great feature for us because we never come to capacity, but we know that we have enough power to move anything that we want here. I would rate McAfee Web Protection a nine out of ten.

What other advice do I have?

I think right now that the product is the top one in the market right now. And we used another before then. One of my guys is working with it. He's the expert with this. And he told me that he's very happy with them.

Private Cloud