Micro Focus ALM Quality Center Review

Test management is its strong point, but it must have version control and electronic signatures

What is our primary use case?

We use it for managing requirements, testing, and defects.

What is most valuable?

What they do best is test management. That's their strong point.

What needs improvement?

HP-QC does not support Agile. It is designed for Waterfall. This is the number one issue that we're facing right now, which is why we want to look for another tool.

We're a pharmaceutical services company, so we require electronic signatures in a tool, but this functionality isn't available in HP-QC. We don't have 21 CFR, Part 11, electronic signatures, and we need compliant electronic signatures.

Some of the ALM tools can toggle between tabular format and document format for requirements, but the same feature is not available in this solution. There is also no concept of base-lining or versioning. It doesn't exist.

I have been using this solution since 2010.

It is glitching now. We have an older version, and it doesn't work well with the latest version of Windows. It hangs a lot.

It is pretty easy to ask for additional memory. It is implemented in Azure, so we can just ask for additional space.

We have concurrent licenses. If we count the number of users, we have around 350 users. They use it on a daily basis.

Our license was procured through SAP. It was indirectly purchased, so it is very difficult to contact the technical team. We have to go through SAP to get feedback on our issues. Support is difficult, not very friendly, just because we have an indirect relationship with Micro Focus.

This is the first one that our company used.

It was simple enough. It did not take much time. The first time we used it only for testing. When we used it for requirements management, it was a little bit more difficult, and we had to re-train our users on how to use the tool.

The tool was simple enough to learn by using the manuals. I learned how to configure the tool, and I conducted the company-wide training. I maintain and configure the system.

It is very expensive as compared to other tools. We didn't get their premier version. It is a lesser version, and to upgrade, there will be an additional cost for us.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend others to find another tool because the interface itself is very outdated. It looks very '90s. There are a lot of better, cheaper tools out there. That's all I can say.

I would rate Micro Focus ALM Quality Center a five out of ten. It must have version control and electronic signatures.

12.5
More Micro Focus ALM Quality Center reviews from users
...who compared it with Jira
Learn what your peers think about Micro Focus ALM Quality Center. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.
1 Comment

author avatarYingLei (Micro Focus)

Thanks for your review, and I appreciate it that your company has hundreds of users of the product. May I know which version of ALM/Quality Center you are using?

The product does have baselining and versioning since some years ago. And Micro Focus has its ALM e-Signature solution which is implemented on top of ALM workflow, please refer to the service flyer: here.

You mentioned the need for Agile support, so I encourage you evaluate our other ALM product - ALM Octane. It has version control too, and the above e-Signature solution works as well.

ALM/Quality Center supports many customers in highly regulated industries, for example in this case study, the pharmaceutical industry customer transformed from paper-based to paperless validation using ALM/Quality Center. To summarize, ALM/Quality Center provides the following to support customers in highly regulated industries.

- Detailed audit trail

- Built-in Versioning and baselining

- Workflow + eSignature solution that can be tailored to different needs

- Enterprise-grade security: Strong access control, secured data communication, SSO authentication, API keys and more

- Comprehensive traceability, along with advanced reporting and analytics

- Quality of Things (QoT) – offline testing app that enables testing in places without ALM server connectivity.

The product has introduced quite some new features and enhancements in recent years, including a new look and feel. I encourage you to upgrade.