Micro Focus ALM Review

Grant different users access to the specific section they need. It has made our development process more professional.

What is most valuable?

Most valuable to us is the ability to have the system organized into distinct roles and sections. That way, we can grant different users access to the specific section they need to access. We have business users that only need to run tests, so they only need that small section of the application. We have the BA's, product trainers, who only care about the requirements.

How has it helped my organization?

It has made our development process more professional. The whole interim process is a lot more professional. You can align it with the development life cycles, get the developers to buy in, and try and get it all linked in to the TFS Visual Studio.

Integration is also important to us. You've got Sprinter, which is quite nice for those that aren't familiar with what they've got to do. It's a nice little guide. Also, you can link it in with performance and automation tools, and kick things off with the push of a button.

What needs improvement?

New development methodologies, such as continuous integration and kanban boards, are being implemented by Microsoft and others to try to get their tools into the testing profession. ALM's got to push back and think more about the overall end-to-end development process. It's very much still a testing tool. We have a few awkward links rather than being a full solution.HPE ALM lacks a few of these features, but for a testing focus tool, helping to ensure quality, I think it's really good. It's good at its core necessities.

It's very stable at the moment. We're not on the most recent version. We have been using version 1201 for 2 ½ years. I did the upgrade, and I found it easy for me to do, because I'd done the previous upgrade as well. The documentation from HPE isn't that great if you don't know what it means. It’s been stable, but I say that, because I did the install.

Scalability is good.

Technical support is good. We've had to get quite deep down in some incidents, so we've actually managed to get through to third level support and speak to the developers. At that point, you're both talking the same language. They can understand your issues and you get good resolution if it gets to that level.

I was not involved in the initial setup back in those days. A couple contractors did it. It was called TestDirector in those days. I'm going to have a look at the new HPE ALM Octane later.

Their licensing model is expensive. We could scale it up and use it everywhere, but then, you look at how much it would cost for the licenses and you really think, "Is it worth it?"

I was not involved with the decision process, but I did put a case together to continue using it. Our parent company was trying to push us to use Microsoft TFS. I was basically showing how much better ALM is over TFS. For what we were using it for, it's just much better than TFS. It was the testing tool of choice.

What other advice do I have?

Try and have a play with it and don't be afraid to customize. We've got this big workflow in ours, so you can control the rules a lot better as to who can do what, who has access, and what they can see. Out of the box, it's a bit vanilla and there's the risk that someone could be given wrong permissions and accidentally do something they shouldn't.

2 visitors found this review helpful
Learn More About ALM

Fill out the form to view the report

4 Comments
User at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employeesVendor

If you want Kanban and CI you should definitely check out the new HPE ALM Octane!

05 January 17
Don IngersonConsultantELITE SQUADTOP 5

A very well written review with lots of information. I am glad you pointed out on "Othet Advice:" don't be afraid to customize. Every company is different and ALM can be customized based on the needs of the organization.

08 January 17
Robert LintonReal UserTOP 10

HPE ALM Octane is the future for IT projects leveraging Agile and any other methodology. All the HPE ALM solutions can be accessed, via an affordable vehicle, that allows the end users to focus on their unique mission, rather than managing the environment in which the solutions are executing, and yes this is in the cloud, any cloud.

06 July 17
Don IngersonConsultantELITE SQUADTOP 5

Yes and the ability to integrate with other development tools and new applications is quite impressive.

06 July 17