Micro Focus ALM Review

Provides a centralized and coordinated view of requirements, tests, and defects. The main barriers of entry are cost and implementation.

What is most valuable?

HP ALM is a good tool for a centralized and coordinated view of requirements, tests, defects, and iterations.

The main barriers of entry are cost and implementation, especially if an enterprise implementation is the best solution

How has it helped my organization?

Being able to have one place to review defects, testing progress, and defects was very useful.

Merging 40 different streams, just for defects, into one solution that had good search and reporting capabilities saved a significant amount of time in coordination, defect management, and by consequence, there was better control of the quality of delivered software.

What needs improvement?

I have used this solution for eight years in a variety of versions and companies.

The biggest challenge was finding the appropriate resource balancing for the enterprise release. It is not very clear how that was going to be implemented due to documentation in 2010.

If there is a need for third-party integration, the documentation is not very good. We were able to integrate with FIT, but it took a very capable programmer to figure out how to do it. Again, this was in 2010. Hopefully, the documentation has improved.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

Customer service was adequate.

Technical support was adequate

We used a lot of home grown 'tools' and spreadsheets in one location and Lotus Notes in another.

In one instance, it was straightforward because anything was better than spreadsheets.

In the location that used Lotus Notes, there was a significant amount of resistance because of loss of control.

Neither instance was due to the tool, but it was due to cultural issues.

The implementation was done in-house.

At a Fortune 100 company, we achieved a reduction of 30% of defects in the first year and decreasing percentages the subsequent years.

The dollar figures were proprietary, but were significant even for an $11 billion dollar revenue company.

The main concern is that there is a significant dollar investment, so do good research to make sure the tool will meet your needs.

We evaluated IBM tools, as well and a couple of Open Source tools.