Micro Focus ALM Review

You get the most value using all modules from Management to Defects.

What is most valuable?

ALM: You cannot just say one feature is most important. You get the most value
using all modules from Management to Defects. When you use the tool end-to-
end, you can pull efficient project reports (especially scorecards) from the
Dashboard. So everything is integrated and only then you can evaluate the tool
fairly. ALM is very flexible and each module can be used independently, but
when you do that you are only using the tool as storage, not as a test
management tool.

UFT: It became much more stable tool in terms of object recognition over the
years. It is easy to use as long as the user has basic software development
knowledge and understands that the software automation process is not just a
record/playback.

How has it helped my organization?

ALM: We currently successfully manage all testing projects due to ALM’s invaluable capabilities, which are listed below:

• Built on best practices with a flexible structure, organization, and documentation for all phases of the application testing process.
  • Serves as a central repository for all testing assets and provides a clear foundation for the entire testing process.
  • Establishes seamless integration and smooth information flow from one stage of the testing process to the next.
  • Supports the analysis of test data and coverage statistics, to provide a clear picture of an application’s accuracy and quality at each point in its life-cycle.
  • Supports communication and collaboration among distributed testing teams.
  • Reduces time needed to create test execution summary reports.
  • Reduces the time needed to write and execute manual tests with HPE Sprinter tool.
  • Users can capture their actions automatically as steps in a formal test.

UFT: We save time executing smoke and regression tests. We also use UFT to create test data.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better Reporting functionality especially more sophisticated graphs, for example Actual vs. Planned or high level progress graphs using indicators like traffic lights. I would like to see more sophisticated or flexible Dashboard views, such as editing and resizing. I use scorecards and pull them into the Project Reports using customized templates. Scorecards can only be refreshed from the Site Admin, which then test leads has to depend on the ALM Admin to refresh the reports if needed after the scheduled auto run. There should be ability to refresh scorecards (execute KPIs) from the project itself or give more frequent auto refresh option like even every 5 min. This is a really burden on the team.

I would like to see Requirements mapped to test steps so we can combine multiple requirements validation in to one test case but map the verification steps to the associated requirements, so if the step fails only fails one requirement not all. When we are operating in an Agile world we do not have time to write test cases to capture one-to-one coverage. I know ALM allows many-to-many mapping but we cannot get true requirement pass/fail status if we use many-to-many option. Test configuration option kind of on the right path, but can only be use for data driven test cases, I cannot add design steps. If we can add design steps to a subset of a main test using Test Configuration option, I think we may be able to differentiate individual requirement that was failed without failing all the requirements mapped to the main test case.

We have used this solution for 17 years.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

In terms of technical support, I usually get solutions to my issues. I did not have any issues to call technical support for a long time.

If you follow the instruction, the setup is straightforward. It definitely requires an experience user to do the installation and setups, especially for upgrades.

What other advice do I have?

I always used ALM and UFT. However, I had training and evaluated IBM JAZZ tools.

Learn More About ALM

Fill out the form to view the report