Micro Focus Network Node Manager Review

We can provide external customers with the ability to monitor their devices. There are scalability and performance issues.

What is most valuable?

It is a good network monitoring, enterprise solution. It is a meta-monitoring solution with good visualization.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefit is that we are able to use some features and we can provide external customers with the ability to monitor their devices.

It has improved our workflow, which is now easier with the solution. However, it's not an enterprise scalable solution. We are serving over 500 managed customers and 10 to 50 customers are being added every month. There are limitations to the number of tenants and groups we can add.

What needs improvement?

The network monitoring side is pretty good, but the performance side is poor. I would like to see this improved in the next version. HPE has Vertica now. I am expecting to see in Vertica what I didn't see in Version 10.0 of this solution. I now have to wait until version 11. It's hindering us so much because we cannot give it directly to customer because after a number of connections, the systems goes down within one minute. After 10 people log on at the same time, the system stops. Generating a report can take from 30 seconds to 10 minutes. Due to scalability issues, we have implemented another solution to take the data out from one database and put it in another one This is a big limitation.

We have been using this solution since 2002. We had Versions 6, 7.5 and upgraded to 8 and 9. We are now planning to upgrade to Version 10.

From the network management side, scalability is good. From a performance side, it is very bad. It doesn't support the building of a Sybase database. It has limitations on the number of connections. It is limiting because it slows down after only 30 connections. Even the HPE lab personnel came to our site and they agreed that the solution cannot support all of these connections. We have implemented another solution to take the data out from that database and put it in another one. This is a big limitation.

We have to give a lot of feedback to level 1 support so they can understand what the problem is. Our requests then go to the lab. Getting to the lab is very difficult. As enterprise customers, our requests should go directly to the lab.

The managed services side is moving to IBM and the IT side will remain with HPE. This was a management decision. There are limitations on the number of connections and on device support. New devices have to be released by HPE. You cannot connect to it directly because it doesn't integrate with all of the applications. That cancels performance.

What other advice do I have?

I have no advice unless HPE comes up with the new version of Vertica. They are moving to HPE Vertica 8, I think, for the next release. I'm expecting some improvements with Vertica, but I'm not expecting it anytime soon.