Micro Focus Network Node Manager Review

Has the ability to carry out customized polling for certain parameters, so that is an add-on to enable a customer to utilize it efficiently

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for network monitoring, switches, routers, firewalls, all kinds of network equipment you can utilize for monitoring. It allows for multiple integrations for SNP purposes. There are many different use cases for the utilization of the product.

I'm an IT architect and technical consultant and we partner with Micro Focus. I've dealt with over 1,000 customers who use the product and each organization has multiple customers and multiple users across multiple regions, in the Middle East, India, and other countries. The product is used mainly by IT managers and IT admins.

It's quite a robust tool for network monitoring solutions. It has gradually evolved over time from a long initial stage to now where it's a very high scale product. It's good for the small tier enterprise role of infrastructure and handling, it's capable of handling multiple nodes and has global architecture - it's quite a good product.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that you can utilize the main file from various vendors for integration. In addition, you can carry out customized polling for certain parameters, so that is an add-on to enable a customer to utilize it efficiently.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, I would say that the resources utilized could be a bit higher, and that is one of the challenges that isn't optimized to my expectations.

For additional features that could be included, I have nothing to suggest for now. Things are going well. It's really a classic model. If it's moved over to cloud then it could definitely become a living giant in the market.

I've been working on this platform for more than nine years.

The product is quite stable. There were some initial issues with that aspect. It was taken care of by the respective OAM which took some time but is now much better.

The product is scalable and can be pre-defined during deployment. It can also be scaled and enhanced later. If you take precautions and take into consideration what your needs will be in two or three years, the setups can be predefined and save you time. It could be done later but there would be an additional cost.

I have a lot of experience with technical support, both directly and indirectly. I have premium support with the company so I've been in touch with everyone and know them. Premium support is quite good. You get all the support you need immediately, but if you rely on standard support it's not as efficient and it can take time. It can be a cumbersome process. It's worthwhile to take the premium support.

I've previously used other in-house tools as well as some managing engines, but none of them are as efficient as the Micro Focus products. The company was formerly owned by HP and it now has a network with Micro Focus. Of course, HP is a very well-known brand across the globe and that increases the trust factor for the customer.

The initial setup is not straightforward. Deployment demands a certain amount of expertise and requires a consultant or someone with hands-on experience to deploy the product. It can be deployed as a stand-alone, or as part of a global network management setup. Assistance from consultants or integrators is needed.

What other advice do I have?

It's important for the customer to understand his own requirements so that he can make the right decision because this network node manager has multiple components. Whether it's network monitoring, reporting, IP telephoning, or MPLS VPN. There are a lot of extensive packs available. The customer also needs to think about their requirements based on the product extension packs and how they would be deployed. These are things that need to be taken into consideration.

I would rate this product a nine out of 10.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer:
More Micro Focus Network Node Manager reviews from users