NetBeans Review

​​Linux native makefile support and Simple setup are among the features I like

What is most valuable?

• Linux native makefile support
  • Simple setup
  • Free
  • Multi-project support
  • C++ 11 support (for a long time)
  • Simple project configuration

How has it helped my organization?

I use Vim for all small code changes, but I prefer using IDE for the following operations:

• When I want to work on large new code, and to move/copy code from file to file more quickly.
  • Debugging.
  • Project configuration, compiler flags, linker settings, and library addition.

What needs improvement?

Debugging: Watches, Evaluate Expression, and data inspection are limited.

Memory: Still uses a lot of memory, and a little slow before starting a run or debug session.

UI: Some bugs (buttons are not the same, missing edit buttons in some dialog boxes, sometimes NetBeans touches the configurations.xml files without any user change in the UI).

Three years.

Yes. When exceptions occur, the IDE becomes less stable during the new running and I need to restart it to have an expected clean running again.

Yes. When exceptions occur, IDE becomes less stable on new runs and I need to restart it to get the expected clean runs.

No. We are working with a large number of small to medium C++ projects without any problems.

I did not use it. I used to send error reports but no more.

I used KDevelop for at least four years, Vim, and Notepad++ on a Samba drive in previous companies. In this company, we looked for a free Linux IDE that would give the best experience for old Windows developers coming from Visual Studio.

Setup is very simple and short. This is a big point. Integrating existing code/projects is also very simple.

It is free, which is great!

I am sad that CLion is not free. Currently, it has no support for Linux makefiles, only cmake, and this is a big mess.

Yes. KDE, Eclipse, and various free products.

What other advice do I have?

I think that each developer should find his own C++ IDE. It seems Eclipse is now supporting C++ very well. I just play with it and, in two minutes, import our projects. Download trials of several IDEs and test them. Check the release notes and the road map.