NetIQ Sentinel Review

Our intital setup was complex but mainly because of all the network variables we had.

What is most valuable?

<ul> <li>Correlation Engine simpleness</li> <li>Visual agent deployment</li> <li>Stream based solution performed by iscale bus (no latency due to the database layer) </li> </ul>

How has it helped my organization?

<ul> <li>Better security incident analysis</li> <li>New scopes for security events and correlation</li> <li>Better performances on device failures actions</li> </ul>

What needs improvement?

<ul> <li>Correlation Engine</li> <li>Device support</li> <li>Agent development flexibility</li> </ul>

I worked on version 5 and then 6 for a total of 6 years. My personal score is 4 stars based on my experience with the latest version I worked on (probably version 7 should be much more better.)

On version 5, builder was somewhat unstable during deployment -> workaround strong procedure with too many middle steps of saves.

The wizard agent module is very sensible to network changes and needs a restart on every network change (versions 5 and 6).

I have not seen any issues with scalability.

I had another SIEM installation (nFX) working for another application domain.

Complex but mainly because of all the network variables we had. Imagine to map firewalls rules passively and then request the ability from an external group not really involved in the installation.

Actually we were the system integrator and we provided a large enterprise solution.

Novell SIEM was my second technology of this kind. Previously I experienced the nFX and later even the McAfee ESM and the Splunk ES.

What other advice do I have?

Be aware that without any technical support from NetIQ it could be very hard to administer.

2 visitors found this review helpful