NetIQ Sentinel Review

Provides an important central locking system for audit data, but it needs a new interface

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for logging.

Our environment is an on-premises deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a regular database to audit and this solution is able to lock the audit data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is that it provides a central locking system for many event sources.

What needs improvement?

The web interface needs to be improved, as it has a java-based way to call its controls.

There is no integration in the web-side of the tool.

It is an important requirement to be able to develop collectors because the tool does not provide a portfolio of collectors for systems or devices.

We have been using this solution for approximately fifteen years.

The stability of this tool is good, and we haven't had a big crash.

It is not easy to scale the tool. In the live version, you have the usability tool that is the scaling version of Sentinel, but we do not use it. We have about one hundred people using this solution who feed events into Sentinel to look for anomalies in the database audits.

Technical support for this solution is good.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

This solution is easy to install. Our initial deployment took approximately three months.

There are a team of four people who maintain this solution.

We used a consultant from NetIQ to assist with our deployment and it was a good experience.

We evaluated three other tools in addition to this one. They were Splunk, ArcSight, and Elasticsearch.

What other advice do I have?

We are planning on changing tools.

I would rate this solution a four out of ten.