OneTouch AT Network Assistant Review

They're rugged. With Gold support, I get another device when the other one's broken and shipped in for maintenance.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is how they're rugged.

Also valuable is the Gold support, which I've always gotten. That's always saved me in so many ways; being able to get another device when the other one's broken and shipped in for maintenance.

How has it helped my organization?

The biggest improvement to my organization is with the LinkRunner 2000AT; that one has saved so much time for troubleshooting. Instead of having to get it up and down, up and down. Testing cables end to end. It allows me to test the cable by myself. Cutting out a half-hour’s worth of work down to minutes. I was able to justify it at my last three jobs, by having that much time saved for me to do troubleshooting. Whether it be the fiber or the copper, I can troubleshoot a lot easier just from one touch on the button. I’m able to map out whether it's a wearing problem, connector problem, somewhere in the middle, or if I need to look into it further. It helps me do initial troubleshooting a whole lot faster.

What needs improvement?

The RJ45 jack on top of the Linkrunner has not been able to handle the constant usage at my last location and current employer. With all of the unplugging and plugging in it would cease to function and I have sent them in for repair under Gold Support. I don’t know if it was the solder joints breaking on the board, the copper connections in the RJ45 or something else.

When I say that we use the Linkrunner a lot I’m not exaggerating. We use it daily and probably plug/unplug around 10-20 times easily.

I've been using Fluke products for almost 20 years.

On a daily basis we would use it, easily, five to ten times totally, for everybody in the shop. We use more than just testing the cable; we'll do the LLDP, for getting the port information for the switch, doing the testing out to the real world, for the auto test and similar items. We use it a lot. That's just LinkRunner; we also have the OneTouch that we use for the wireless, as well, and for the throughput tests.

Not once have I ever had a stability issue. It's always been a physical problem with the RJ45 connector.

I have not encountered any scalability issues. I've never had an issue, software-wise.

Technical support has always been the best that I can give you. When I call, they're right there. You don't have to sit on an automated system forever. You talk to somebody and they get you taken care of or, shortly after, they call you back with a fix or you start the turn-in process and do it that way.

Back in the early 90s it was just the basic telephone tracing devices that you could use. Then in the mid90s, I started using Fluke; ever since then, it's what I've used 99.99% of the time, because it's always been reliable for me. In fact, I've got one of the original Fluke discs from something like 1985, from the Johnson Manufacturing Company, that's on my desk. I've got one of the old 5 1/4" discs.

I’m a big fan of Fluke, because it's always been there for me.

If you've never touched it before, with a getting started guide, a quick watch on a YouTube channel, or something like that, you could use it.

For a user like me, it's all been similar throughout all the years; it's all been kind of similar. They've kept the similarities and a lot of the same settings. It's nice for familiarity like that.

Before choosing this product, I really did not evaluate other options. 99% of the time that I've ever been able to order something, it's through the experience and justification that I had is why we got it. I've stuck with it because it just seems like other products are more complex or people have issues with them. That's why I've never really looked for anything else.

What other advice do I have?

For any of the products, make sure it's going to do what you need it to do. Don't get it just because of the bells and whistles. You know, why buy a Ferrari if you're only going to drive an eighth of a mile to work, that kind of thing.

Fluke’s not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Out of all the years, with the few issues I've had – no matter what product you have, you're going to have issues – I have to give it a perfect rating.