OneTouch AT Network Assistant Review

Training can run 24 hours or 48 hours, and be automatically uploaded to a dashboard.

What is most valuable?

The training features are very valuable for me. The training can run 24 hours or 48 hours, and be automatically uploaded to a dashboard. I can see when things go wrong while I'm gone. I can just address that issue as soon as I get back to the office.

How has it helped my organization?

It improved my ability to see if there's any issue happening.

During the normal workweek, I can just find the training from over the weekend to see if I can duplicate the issue that happened and address it.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard is one area with room for improvement. Before, it was a product from Fluke; now it's been bought by NetScout. I really would like to see graphics on the dashboard. Right now, there are no graphics. It only shows raw data, and it's kind of hard to decipher what it means. If I see it, I can do that, but if I'm not here and we need somebody else to read the data to me, it is a little more challenging. The GUI should be colorful, the way it was before. That's one thing.

Another thing is it would have been better if they had embedded a management WiFi antenna. If you are in a location where there's no internet cable available, you're going to have to buy your own USB WiFi receiver in order to manage it remotely.

Sometimes, I know the IP address I'm looking for, or sometimes I know the host name I'm looking for. On the Fluke, the software, there's no search box. I cannot search by IP address, or host name. I have to scroll over thousands of addresses to find what I'm looking for.

I have been using it for almost a year.

It has not crashed to the point where it was unusable. It has crashed a couple of times, and then it will rectify itself. Sometimes, the boot process didn't complete totally; it will reboot again. It's just minor stuff, not anything preventing me from using the product.

I have not called support yet. I used the support when it belonged to Fluke. I haven't called NetScout yet.

We use to have another small Fluke product, WireMapper; nothing fancy. Prior to that, we didn't use any network testing tools or advanced software.

We were implementing our voice over IP system. When I saw one of the guys use a Fluke to test the fiber connection, I told myself, "Well, if I had this product, I could improve things; things would be a lot faster and smoother."

The setup was not too bad, but the licensing was a little bit of trouble to get it straightened out. The licensing is a one-time obligation, of course. As long as I talked to the right person, it was sorted out.

What other advice do I have?

Have a plan. Know what you are looking for and what you want to do with it. You don’t want to have a product that cost a couple thousand dollars sitting on your desk doing nothing. If you don't have a need for it, there's no point investing on an expensive product and not knowing how to use it or use it at all.