OpenLegacy Review

Enables our COBOL programmers to move legacy apps to REST API apps in a few clicks

What is our primary use case?

I am the chief programmer for the largest credit card company in my country, with 4.5 million credit card users. Isracard has a lot of business logic in our IBM 3270s, and it is impossible to use the regular ESB stack. We have to convert the logic into routines, which could potentially take weeks or even months using the Isracard Business Hub.

In some cases, the old mainframe system has been closed and we can’t get inside easily. The programmers said we needed to make a change, so we looked at OpenLegacy

We use OpenLegacy to give the 30-year-old legacy data to developers so they can make it available to consumers, including customer data, and the transactions between the customers and our business. End customers want access, via mobile, to details about what they bought, where they bought it, and how much it cost.

How has it helped my organization?

Using OpenLegacy, the exposure of services is far easier and quicker. In many cases, exposure of services requires just a few clicks and takes only minutes. In very complex cases, it still only takes half a day. Without OpenLegacy, it would take us several months to create the same services.

With OpenLegacy, it took only two clicks to get REST API to get to digital. We did a pilot and saw that it was easy to do. We can create REST APIs with a basic understanding of the mainframe's business logic, and without having significant Java knowledge.

Using mainframe programs (not screens), the OpenLegacy services do not require any changes by the mainframe programmers, thus reducing development cycles. In addition, OpenLegacy gives us a unified way of “calling” the mainframe programs both in 3270 screens and programs.

Digital is one of our biggest priorities and when we heard what OpenLegacy could do, we actually pursued them. Time to market is a big factor. OpenLegacy helps fill our requirement to go mobile and get more interactive between customers and our business via mobile.

What is most valuable?

We are able to take old legacy customer data and use REST APIs to give customers the best experience. We can do everything via mobile, including payments and transactions between our customers and their suppliers.

OpenLegacy is definitely faster than writing old legacy code. We have the ability to change what we want more easily than the "old" vendor company.

What needs improvement?

Debugging and logging for programmers.

We would also be more than happy if the product had the option to work in the opposite direction – the ability to consume REST/SOW services in the outer world from the mainframe.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

No, we did not have a solution that could be this flexible and give us the results we need.

The first installation was very simple. A team from OpenLegacy accompanied us but did not have to implement complex things.

What other advice do I have?

OpenLegacy provides a way to go from the outside world to the legacy mainframe, to move the old standard application to a REST API application. New digital services can be created in a few clicks and this can be done easily by COBOL programmers. It is much easier for these programmers who wrote the old code.

OpenLegacy is so much easier. They understand our vision.

2 visitors found this review helpful