OpenLegacy Review

Enabled us to become more efficient in data handling but the customer support is inefficient

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is handling data and transactions. I'm working for a bank in the end we develop and we deploy banking systems to resolve day-to-day issues with banking data and transactions while adhering to all the necessary regulations.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has helped our business by allowing us to become more efficient in data handling. In this way, it has helped us quite a lot. We had several legacy systems, and because we had a lot of separate systems, we had a lot of problems integrating the data for each of them. So we purchased Open Legacy for its integration capabilities and we actually integrated all of them. That efficiency absolutely it helps.

What is most valuable?

The features that have been most valuable in our situation is that this can be used as an enterprise solution and the fact that it is open-source. Partly because it is open-source, it has a lot of features and because of that, it has helped us be flexible with solutions. There is no end in this area to what can be accomplished. I can always learn more and more as I think it is the responsibility of being in my position and using this product effectively.

What needs improvement?

I think the features of many solutions can be improved, but not all have to be and they are not all urgent. The thing we need most is better support. It is hard for us to deploy systems because support is not always available. They sell the product licenses but they do not think about how to support for those who have problems like us which are immediate and urgent.

Other factors matter less than being able to resolve issues quickly. Not everything is negative. The user interface is a good one because the access to the features is not difficult. But for countries like mine and businesses like financial services, the pricing and consistent accessibility to an operational system is imperative. These are some problems and the support for them doesn't go far enough. When we have these problems with the system, we have big problems with our customers. It really bothers me when we need help and we need something or lost something and can't get access to help quickly. This really creates some big problems for us and we cannot handle them or do something about it right away.

I've been working on this system for approximately the last five years

Based on experiences the stability can be fine most of the time. The system itself is pretty stable. Honestly, some of our solutions and the things we have deployed are not suitable for what should be used in the system. Suddenly we would deploy and reveal that there were problems there and we had made something wrong. It was just because of how we did it and our problems were more about not having enough knowledge. That's because of system inefficiency and lack of support. So I think the problems that we have experienced are not because the product in a sense is because of our lack of knowledge. In other words, we have seen lots of instability, but I think it's not because of the system.

Based on our requirements and functionality we need, this product has met our needs for scalability. At first, our team had approximately about 10 to 20 changes due at a time and our team grew to about 25 people because we had a lot of problems.

We have been very dissatisfied with customer support. We hope they do something about it and that clients who use the product don't experience the same problems we did in the future.

Before I was at the company they had used a proprietary system. There were a lot of homemade, in house, systems. That caused some compatibility issues that needed to be resolved. Using Open Legacy, we actually omitted those issues by not needing to use the legacy components we created separately. We didn't use them and started to use Open Legacy and started eliminating issues.

It may not be the perfect solution but it did solve some problems. In an enterprise system and enterprise companies, migration or changing the basic structure of the solution costs a lot. I think it is not a good plan for us to change in the future. I think that it is not perfect, but they won't want to change it. And if they did, they would not know if it were a better system.

I was not at the company for the original setup so I don't know.

Because we are under certain sanctions for the banking industry and there's a problem with technical support, we worked through test case studies, research and development and had a lot of problems. So then suddenly our deadline comes up and we did it all, but it was on our own. It was a big team and we accomplished a lot. But there are lots of problems without any help and no one with specific experience working on the project.

I would be guessing that since implementing Open Legacy that we have seen a return on investment. It would be hard to put that into an actual amount.

I don't know if the company actually evaluated other solutions when they brought on Open Legacy as I was not yet in the company at the time. But the investment in the system will probably mean it will not be changed.

Because of sanctions, unfortunately, in our country, we can not use a Cloud-based system so even that could not have been part of the evaluation.

What other advice do I have?

If I were to rate this product on a scale of one to ten, I think a five is good enough. The system is good and can accomplish a lot but because support is not so good, we had many problems we should not have had. We waste a lot of time to be stable in using the system, and that cost a lot for us. If there were better support then we would have had fewer problems and we would have saved a lot of time.