Oracle Coherence Review

Querying, aggregations, cluster replication and language interoperability are popular features.

What is most valuable?

From a non-functional side:

• - Horizontal scalability
  • - High performance
  • - Resilience

From a functional side, we use all aspects of the product in multiple applications. Popular features are querying, aggregations, cluster replication and language interoperability.

How has it helped my organization?

We use Coherence in a range of applications, from business-critical applications dealing with a vast amount of fast-moving data, to smaller applications looking to share data efficiently internally and with external apps and businesses.

One example would be as a portion of a risk-calculation engine that calculates complex values like PV, VaR and Greeks. Other technologies don’t allow the same level of scale and compute capability, while providing rigorous resilience and security underpinnings.

What needs improvement?

• Integration with non-Oracle products
  • Becoming open source and creating an ecosystem allowing users to contribute features in a controlled manner

I have used it from version 3.3 onwards, a period of about eight years.

We have encountered the occasional minor bug and very occasional more serious bug.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is very good.

I did not previously use a different solution.

We use Coherence for a number of applications, each with different requirements. It’s hard to provide a simple answer regarding initial setup but, in general, we find that Coherence is relatively simple to set up and use. However, it quickly becomes very complex as more features are used.

The product was in use when I joined.

What other advice do I have?

Coherence is the most mature product in this space, with the backing of a large support organization.

For a long period, they led the field and are arguably still leading it, but there are other smaller, newer technologies that are catching up fast.

12.2.1
More Oracle Coherence reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, VMware, Software AG and others in Database Development and Management. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.