Oracle Coherence Review

With push replication, we can share data between different projects without attaching the original data.

What is most valuable?

We use 75% of the functionality of the product, including Coherence Incubator (not embedded for our version yet). The most interesting features for us are push replication and write through because these give us a lot of flexibility with data.

From the point of view of push replication, we are able to share data between different projects without attaching original data, so, if any client modified this data by error, it wouldn't affect the rest of the projects.

Regarding the feature of write through, we need to persist to DB a lot of data that changes three times per second. However, this is difficult to support by a database. (We have statistics in Coherence of 120 million puts in the cache.) What we do in this case is write to Coherence and then persist to database in batch mode, so the database receives fewer charges than if the streaming is connected directly.

How has it helped my organization?

We are storing information from one of our applications. This allows us to answer requests in milliseconds, while the application would take seconds to answer request from clients.

What needs improvement?

First of all, extend clusters between different sites. We have done this configuration but is not recommended by Oracle. This configuration is strategic for us.

Oracle doesn't recommend having an extended cluster between two CPD with different locations (in our case, 20 kms apart). The recommended way to implement this is replicating information between the different CPDs. In our case, we have an extended cluster between these two CPDs and we found some issues with, for example, push replication. With an extended cluster between two CPDs, Coherence opens two replication channels, one per site; however, only one site replicates its data. I think this issue is resolved in 12.1.1. with federated caches, but we haven't check this behaviour yet.

I have used it for for years, since 2012.

In four years, we haven´t found any issues with stability. We have had some problems but they derived from how clients use this product.

As mentioned, we have extended clusters between different sites, even though Oracle does not recommend this configuration.

Depending on the consultant, we were very happy or very unhappy, so I would rate technical support 5/10.

I did not previously use a different solution.

Initial setup was complex, until we contracted an expert who helped us to configure everything. After that, life was easier. ;)

Due to the licensing prices, we are looking for other solutions as an alternative to Coherence. It is very expensive and projects are not willing to pay this amount of money for caching data, so they requested that we find a cheaper alternative.

People here were using Ehcache or other solutions, but we decided to use Coherence as our corporate solution.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very powerful tool but is very expensive, so if you don´t have enough money, just choose another solution.

3.7.1.7
More Oracle Coherence reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, VMware, Software AG and others in Database Development and Management. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.