Oracle Coherence Review

Data is in memory all the time.

What is most valuable?

We use Coherence to keep aware of critical data. We have millions of customers whose data is in Coherence. Previously, when we stored customer data in the database, it took about seven minutes just to locate one customer profile. About 90% of customer data is static. Since we implemented Coherence, this data is in memory all the time; so the results are found in milliseconds instead of five seconds. Our response time for customers calling us over our portal has reduced drastically. We are now able to provide service to our customers much faster. This is amazing, especially for our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

It has really transformed the speed that we can respond to customers. Now I don't need to worry about increasing my customer base. I used to wonder how I was really going to provide service to over five million customers. Generally, as the number of customers goes up, the biggest challenge is to provide the same kind of response time. Now I don't need to worry about it. I can just keep growing our customer base, but our response time tends to remain the same.

What needs improvement?

Reloading really takes a lot of time.

We are already using it for a couple of years.

It is a stable product. We don't really have any issues. The only thing that we really need to think about is when we need to reload the whole thing, especially if we need to do some patching or maintenance. That really takes about 24 hours. That's the downside. It’s something that we are now living with. So we really take that hit on that. Generally, that's why we really plan our maintenance.

I think now I really need that more in a hardware way; but I would really not find that as a challenge anymore. We are actually able to do it more comfortably because now, whether I'm scaling up or scaling down, it's very transparent.

I can't really live without Oracle technical support. There are times when we have so many challenges and into so much trouble and so many issues. They are very helpful. Without them, I would say we can't even function; so they are really good. We have platinum support, and we are able to get their support. Sometimes there are escalations which we need to go through to get the right SLA engaged. But I think we are really getting critical support.

We did not have a different solution before. We were looking for this solution. The response time is the key. It was really touching. When we really started with five million customers, the response time was four seconds. The customer base was increasing, and that became five seconds; and then six seconds. It just kept going up. So we thought we needed to come up with some solution for reducing the response time.

We were looking for a cost-effective solution. Nowadays, any business must keep the operating cost in mind. Why do we want to go for the cloud? Because we are spending so much on the hardware. I really want to make sure my investment in hardware brings a good cost-effective return on the investment.

I keep everything in mind. Of course, I also look for the security and scalability.

The initial setup was neither complex nor really easy. It was somewhere in the middle. I didn't really involve myself in that directly. I am one of the heads of the site. I just fed them the data. It was pretty much implemented by mid-level people; so I don’t really know what the challenges were.

I think this is the only solution we considered. Whenever we really look for a product, first we look whether Oracle has something appropriate. I have been using Oracle for a number of years. I think they always have a solution. They started with the database. Now they have the middleware and the hardware. They have the complete application solutions. You name it and they have it.

Coherence had all the features and benefits we needed.

What other advice do I have?

Look into Coherence’s features. Get a demo first and evaluate whether you can really make use of this product.