Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control Review

Makes it is easier to manage your backups and create email alerts regarding the status of your backups

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case was to have a central web interface where we could administrate all Oracle Database instances.

After installing, I found out that it is not only a database administration console. You could manage hosts, middleware apps (WebLogic), and many more plugins, which are available to download for other vendors' software and databases.

Our banking environment is based on Oracle Databases (11.2.0.4) and our banking software is Oracle FLEXCUBE (12.0.3), which is running on WebLogic (10.3.6). In total, I have about 15 databases registered in Cloud Control and four to five WebLogic consoles, all of which are self-monitored from Oracle Cloud Control 13C monitoring software, and configured to send an email alert when a metric threshold is triggered.

I have registered a testing Microsoft SQL Server environment, but I did not find it very useful (it cannot be used as an alternative or as SQL Server Management Studio).

How has it helped my organization?

Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control has been really useful for our organisation. Before Enterprise Manager, I had 15 different database consoles with no centralised monitoring or alerting system. With EM, it has been easier to monitor all DB errors. For example, it is possible to register your My Oracle Support account, so when you get an error, it will automatically search for a document in My Oracle Support.

Also, you can create a system group (database, application, and web server), so you can monitor performance as a system.

What is most valuable?

Host-based monitoring is a big advantage of Enterprise Manager.

Now, with EM, it is easier to manage your Oracle Database backups and create email alerts regarding the status of your backups (Succeeded or Failed). I know when a target is up or down (this can be an Oracle Database instance, Listener, WebLogic Server, or even a deployment in the WebLogic Server).

What needs improvement?

When registering a host, only if your host is running Linux will you get all the information which is available on EM. It would be nice if in future releases to include IBM AIX (primarily) and Microsoft Windows (secondly).

When you register a WebLogic server (in our case WebLogic 10.3.6), you can actually do certain things. You cannot use Enterprise Manager as replacement for a WebLogic console.

No different solution was used before.

If you read the prerequisites from My Oracle Support, then installation is straightforward even without the manual. What you need to understand is what to install first, then second.

The implementation was done in-house.

I did not evaluate other options because our core banking system is based on Oracle.