OutMatch Review

Good work-related personality survey, but it needs to be updated

What is our primary use case?

I use OutMatch for my clients. They come to me for consultation regarding their psychological and physical health. Sometimes I find out that they have work difficulties or challenges or they are not that satisfied with their job roles or the way they carry out their responsibilities.

I only use the Assessment Survey feature, which is the work-related personality survey. I use it between ten and fifteen times per year.  If I feel that it will help my client then I suggest that they take the test.

The work-related personality survey by OutMatch helps me to find their strengths and areas of potential concern. It helps me to guide them in gaining more experience in the skills required by their job roles. Once they have taken it, I discuss the results with them and examine the recommendations. We talk about what benefits them as well as what is not needed or not necessary for the time being.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that they have several competency models. I like most of the way they understand personality.

What needs improvement?

When it comes to understanding personality, the models are not dynamic enough. They use old, obsolete or outdated terminology. In general, they need to be updated.

They need to include more dimensions for analyzing personality.

They do not have an option for Saudi norms, or Arab norms, so we utilize the US norms. The problem is that these are not right for people working in the Middle East because the market is different and the culture is different. The US norms do not, for example, take into account the problems associated with regions that are underdeveloped culturally.

I would add a dimension that deals with how the person perceives the culture of their society or the culture of their organization. It would help to determine how honest they are in their understanding, as opposed to pretending or being a hypocrite. It is important to do this in a sophisticated way so that they people do not figure out the reasons underlying those items, otherwise, they may get defensive and only answer the questions in the same way that they would answer their employer.

Another dimension they should add deals with personal lifestyle. I work in the area of human health, both physical and mental, and it is very important to understand the employee's lifestyle. It is something where people often do not tell the truth unless you know them pretty well. For example, sometimes people deny that they are smoking or drinking, yet the reality is that they have these habits. People who are overweight sometimes deny the fact. Psychological problems are the same.

OutMatch is not competitive in the Middle East.

I started using OutMatch ten or eleven years ago.

OutMatch is a stable solution.

I have applied the OutMatch survey to more than one hundred people.

Technical support is wonderful. When I worked with them seven or eight years ago, they were excellent. However, I no longer communicate with them.

The initial setup is easy and the deployment is immediate.

What other advice do I have?

OutMatch is a very good tool, and I think it's among the best in this field, but it needs updating and it needs more development. The development plans have not been updated in at least ten or twelve years.

I have met with OutMatch personally, as I was responsible for translating the solution into Arabic for them. This included the test, as well as the report and other materials.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is that OutMatch has great potential. It can be used in many things, even in constructing teams. It helps you construct the work teams in a very good way. For example, I'm interested in helping companies and certain types of organizations learn how to construct a task force. Especially, when their job is critical. For example, in the case of what we call crisis management, they should have a task force for that and it should include people of different technical backgrounds and experiences. At the same time, it should include people of different personality tendencies because in some areas you need a diverse set of committee members. You need some who tend to be pessimistic, some who tend to be anxious, and other crew members who are optimistic and anxiety-free and relaxed.

I want both in dealing with an expert team that deals with disasters. I want those who are very practical and those who are very imaginative. I love the composition, how to compose or select people for specific purposes, especially when they are very senior. Sometimes you have seniors who are CEOs of different branches. You have all different departments, different companies sometimes. I'm interested in crises that have a medical aspect. For example, in a case where the hospitals will receive hundreds of people who are seriously injured and in a very short time, the health system can react and proact in a good way. The OutMatch survey can help consultants when it comes to guiding the construction of such a taskforce.

This is a good solution for some environments, but I realized that it wasn't open to being realized in the Arab world, at least for the time being. My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to look at their clients. If they are Arab clients who are living in Arab countries then they will be better off with another solution. If they do use OutMatch then they have to recognize the challenges.

For people who are in European countries, North and South America, or Asia, then I would recommend OutMatch.

Overall, this tool is good, but it would be excellent with the proper updates.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Other