Pentaho Data Integration Review

It is an open source product it is very easy to build your own solution against it.

What is most valuable?

It is a very good open source ETL tool that's capable of connecting to most databases. It has a lot of functions that makes transforming the data very easy. Also, because it is an open source product, it is very easy to build your own solution with it.

How has it helped my organization?

It is also possible to build a new solution quit quick so the customer sees results quite fast.

What needs improvement?

In the community version the scheduling tool is not good, and we had to build it ourselves.

I have worked with different versions of Pentaho since 2009.

There are a couple of bugs in the newer versions. We were forced to wait until those bugs were fixed before we could upgrade.

There were no issues with its stability.

There have been no issues scaling it.

Because we use the community edition, there is no support from the vendor. When I worked with the Enterprise edition last year the technical support was quick and to the point. I was more than happy with their knowledge.

In the past I also worked with SAP BI. The main reason we switched to Pentaho was the cost of SAP. Because of the flexibility of Pentaho, I prefer to work with it.

When I started using Pentaho in 2009 the initial setup was quit complex, mainly because of a lack of good documentation at that time. Since then, it has dramatically improved. Also the community on the web is quit active and there are some good blogs.

I was hired to do the implementation. I think it is necessary to have a good understanding of the product to implement is well so I would recommend, when not in-house, to hire the appropriate knowledge

What other advice do I have?

When you don’t have the knowledge of the product I would recommend to follow some courses in to speed up the learning curve. A cheap way to start with Pentaho is using the Community Edition. You can do almost everything with it and the purchase of the Enterprise Edition is not necessary