Redgate SQL Toolbelt Review

SQL Search and change automation functionality help us manage our code repository and databases

What is our primary use case?

We use Redgate primarily on SQL server, within SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS).

We use it for the code repository and management. We use it for SQL Compare, to compare two databases and find the differences. We use it for finding things. That's where the SQL Prompt comes in, SQL Search.

We use most of the tools that are provided by this product.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is SQL Search.

We also make extensive use of Change Automation, which we've been using for managing our DDL code.

What needs improvement?

The biggest problem with the Redgate SQL Toolbelt is just how heavy it is; it seems to take a lot of resources. It takes a lot of memory and a lot of processing power to run, and that tends to slow things down a bit. Making it a little more lightweight while still doing the same thing, as much as possible, is what we would like to see in the future.

I've noticed that Microsoft SSMS runs much quicker without RedGate installed than it does with it installed. From bootup of the app to opening query windows and connections, SSMS is quicker without Redgate than with, by a significant margin. The other area for improvement is regarding licensing. Every month or two my SSMS loses it's redgate license key and I need to re-enter the key to continue using Red Gate, even though the license is annual.

We have been using Redgate for between one a two years.

This product is pretty much stable.

I think it's fairly scalable. I'm not sure because it's an individual workstation tool, but it doesn't matter how many people have because it just installs on their machine.

I haven't had to deal with technical support, which is good.

Before Redgate, we didn't really use a tool of that nature.

We implemented it because they're an industry leader. We were familiar with them from trade shows where we got to meet them and speak with them. At that point, we felt that it was a good fit.

The initial setup is straightforward.

In-house

The cost is about $3,500 USD per individual to buy, and then it's about 20% per year for renewal.

What other advice do I have?

I've had really good luck with this product and I've been happy with it. In summary, I think that it's a really good tool and I recommend it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

10.1.3.14
Find out what your peers are saying about Redgate, IDERA, DBmaestro and others in Database Development and Management. Updated: January 2021.
456,719 professionals have used our research since 2012.