SAS MDM Review

When a client wants an analytics tool plus BI, that is when we look to this solution

What is our primary use case?

We are a SAS partner. We have the entire SAS product line. Wherever a client requires an end-to-end solution, that is where we position SAS.

One of my customers wanted to have data lineage plus compute, including master data management solutions. They wanted to have their customer data and product data properly secured.

It is deployed both on-premises and on the cloud.

What is most valuable?

One good feature is that SAS MDM comes bundled with the entire stack so we are in a position to place it with the client. So when a client wants an analytics tool plus BI, and they want to bring in other elements, that is when we look to MDM, because it is a single vendor. SAS has put together a stack for everything. That's when we usually go with it.

I have been working with SAS MDM for two years.

It scales up easily.

I have 30 to 35 tracks open with them. The tech support is good. There are some people in the UK who are very good. I can even name a few of them. Tech support has been really good. There haven't been any issues with them.

The initial setup was slightly complex. We did face a couple of issues such as the SAML integration not being very smooth. And linking communication with the metadata server was a bit of a challenge. Eventually, we were able to configure it properly.

I have looked at products from Informatica and Talend as well. Only having SAS and MDM is not the right choice of tools because the likes of Informatica and Talend have better capabilities as far as I've seen.

PDS, by definition, is a scalable and performant data store. But when we actually look into it, it writes in serial, even though it is a parallel creator. There are multiple queries that write into the database serially, but it doesn't write them in parallel like most of the other database technologies, such as Informatica or SQL Server or some open-source servers. In that way, it is not as performant when it comes to large data sets. That's where I would not recommend using PDS. It's quite expensive as well.

What other advice do I have?

Having used SAS in the past, in the role that I play, I always push for SAS and all the analytics. But without having done a full comparison with other tools, I do not feel I'm in a position to say that there are capabilities available with SAS that are not in the other tools. But from a practical perspective, I would definitely recommend this solution.

I rate it at eight out of 10 because I still want to explore it a bit more. I have only used it for three clients, and not as a full-blown MDM asset. If you are running a complex use case, I may or may not be in a position to justify the use of this product at this point in time. I would be 80 percent comfortable doing so and that's why I'm giving it a score of eight.