Sonatype Nexus Lifecycle Review

Scans code libraries, flags vulnerable versions, and shows if a newer version is available

What is our primary use case?

We're using it for looking at code libraries, for its automatic build process for cloud. We want to look at code libraries that have security, to make sure that there are no vulnerabilities in the code libraries that people are uploading, and we want to do that early in the process so it's not being caught at the tail end.

We use it to automate open source governance and minimize risk.

What is most valuable?

• The application onboarding and policy grandfathering features are good.
  • The solution integrates well with our existing DevOps tools.
  • It also blocks undesirable open-source components from entering our development lifecycle. It scans code libraries and it flags them if there's a vulnerable version. It shows us very quickly if there is a newer version available, and what generation that non-vulnerable version is.

What needs improvement?

Getting it integrated depends on your structure and how your DevOps teams are structured. The biggest thing is getting it used uniformly across all the different teams. It's more of a process issue. The process needs to be thought out about how it's going to be used, what kind of training there will be, and how it's going to be socialized, how it's going to be rolled out and controlled, enterprise-wide. That's probably more of a challenge than the technology itself. It's pretty simple to get up and running. It's not really an enterprise solution, like Active Directory, which you can enforce on everyone. It's something that's done through each little vertical.

It looks pretty stable to me.

I don't know how well it's going to scale.

We did not have a previous solution. We had nothing.

The setup was straightforward, it was easy to install. On the pilots, it didn't take it long to get it up and running. We only did limited portions. For a pilot, the setup only took a couple of days.

It was pretty much all done internally.

What other advice do I have?

We have one person assigned to this solution for maintenance. It's not being used extensively, and there's no plan to increase it, even though there's a desire to increase use of it. In other words, everyone wants to deploy this, but no one has figured out how they're going to do that enterprise-wide. It's a process problem, not a technology problem.

Overall, I give it a nine out of ten. It has a very intuitive interface and clearly displays the problems and the solution.