SonicWall Mobile Connect Review

Good performance, stability, and technical support

What is our primary use case?

My customer's primary use case for this solution is for remote connectivity to their firewalls.

How has it helped my organization?

The reason we primarily use Fortinet is because I don't see any value to SonicWall. SonicWall was interesting to us because they were part of the Dell portfolio but now that they are standalone, with very few integrations with other endpoint solutions, it doesn't have value for us. That's' why our customers lean towards Fortinet. Fortinet has better endpoint ability.

What needs improvement?

Licensing includes things that my customers don't need. If you buy Fortinet, for example, you will get all of the necessary licenses, even VPN connectors and you don't need to buy anything separately. With SonicWall you only get the hardware then you have to buy other bundles that change over time. That is frustrating for smaller retailers whose needs are changing. It's hard to prove the value of features that customers don't need but they're forced to buy because it's included in the licensing bundle. Fortinet is easier to understand what you get for your money and you don't need to get separate licenses for other features.

It's great to have SSL features, but our customers don't need it. It's hard to tell customers that they must buy features that they don't need because it's part of a bundle.

We have been using it for four years.

I can say that it's stable and the performance is acceptable. Performance from a VPN solution is never as good as a local LAN though. The expectations are typically lower than from in-house cabling.

The technical support is fine. There's nothing to complain about.

We also worked with Fintech, a company that provides solutions for VPN connections with firewall capabilities. We switched because we had licensing issues. We needed to buy licenses for every connection we need. It didn't satisfy our expectations.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

It's a little hard to see global VPNs for streamlining clients . They should have a more updated feature set. They don't update as frequently as other VPN solutions. They should care more about the technology of their mobile clients. They should be more up to date with features.