Sophos Email Appliance Review

An easy to use solution with reasonable pricing and good stability

What is our primary use case?

We deploy it for a government organization to protect against spamming and the blacklisting of the email server.

How has it helped my organization?

Previous issues were resolved as soon as we deployed the solution. The great thing about Sophos is you can set up for a test environment for one month to help resolve issues.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use, especially the cloud version which is very, very simple. There are some good templates already built-in, so you can just select the template, and you will get all the necessary functionality. The only one thing you have to do is point all your traffic to the cloud.

What needs improvement?

In the advanced version, you have DLP, Data Loss Prevention, but when you buy the standard version, you don't have it.

One thing I would change is the number of users in the trial model. When you do the trial, you are stuck with only one hundred users. In my case, we wanted 200 users in the trial. In the end, we had to choose the 100 most important users. They should open up the trial version a bit more so that it's not limited to the number of users on the trial.

I've been using the solution for four years.

The solution is 100% stable. We've never had a problem. We use it ourselves and also install it for our clients. They've never complained about the stability of the solution.

We have about 200 people using the solution currently.

The solution is very simple to set up. You only have to make one to a maximum of three changes. You have to change your DNS. You have to change the outgoing mail server address. And that's all.

If you want to try the solution, you can get a one-month free license with full functionality. All options are in the trial.

As my company is a partner of Sophos, we've got our own version that's not for resale, that we use ourselves. We don't pay for it, and it's a full version with a one-year license. We can renew at any time, and we don't pay as a partner.

The solution, in general, isn't expensive at all, even if you pay. If you have 200 users, for example, you're looking at about 1,000 Euros.

What other advice do I have?

We've used the on-premises deployment model, but we are currently using the cloud.

You don't need to be a very good technician to use the solution. It's very easy to use. On the client-side, you don't have to make very many changes.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.