Talend Data Quality Review

Data management platform that is cost effective and easily implements data from multiple sources

What is our primary use case?

Our use cases vary, but mainly we are using it for implementing a master data management platform. We get data from multiple sources and create a golden ticket record that can be used for ingesting the data from that single source to any of the platforms.

What is most valuable?

The features that I find to be the most valuable are the extensibility, the integration, and the ease of integration with multiple platforms. The integration is one of the great features,  which is mainly what we use it for.

What needs improvement?

I would say that some of the support elements need improvement. It is built on open-source technology and they provide platinum support, but they need improvement. We have a large customer base and they need more customized support from them.

I would like to see more advancements with certain big data technology that they have that hasn't been added to the platform. It's something that they could add in the future.

We have been using this solution for two years.

It's a stable platform. We process large volumes of data and have not experienced any challenges.

We have not had any challenges, so I would say that it's a scalable solution.

One of our clients has ten developers. The licensing is based on developers and ten is a large number to have. It's a sizable project.

It's being used on a daily basis by a global client. They don't have data stewards that are available across different countries on the globe for this organization. They access it with the master record that has been created.

They currently have ten developers but plan to increase up to 25 users in the future.

We have team members who have worked on the deployment. From their experience and the feedback that I have received, it is very easy to deploy and to manage this solution.

It takes approximately four weeks to deploy Talend itself, but there are some use cases that are very long and take some time.

The average project for us is approximately three to four months because we build the integrations, cleanse the data, and many other things that are required once the platform is set up.

The initial setup takes four weeks. It is straight forward and there is not a lot of complexity.

It's very cost-effective in terms of licensing and implementation.

It's a subscription-based platform, we renew it every year.

There are different packages that are Data Integration, Data Management, and Data Fabric. The Data Fabric is the highest package and they sell it based on the number of end-users/developers.

There are not really additional fees, but we have to be mindful of the add ons, which are not part of the standard package. They have a standard package with some inclusions, but there are normally add ons that would have to be purchased. Customers need to be mindful of that and share the requirements before getting the licensing for their project.

We also evaluated Oracle. Oracle was more of a closed platform that was good for technologies, but we wanted something that is more extensible and supports the technologies for integration.

Talend is partly open-source and cost-wise, it is quite optimized compared to Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great technology.

Be careful of the add ons and there are different packages. Most customers are fine with starting off with Data Management, but there are add ons. I would suggest sharing the requirements or the scope with Talend so that they have an understanding of the work features that are required to grow with the right brand of data fabric for data management.

It's one of the leading platforms. It has customers who are looking for a good and cost-effective data integration platform, that can connect with multiple technologies.

It has data integration and data management capabilities, which is why many customers use Talend, but there are some elements with the support that they need to look at.

More Talend Data Quality reviews from users