Tanium Review

Offers privileged features and has fast asset discovery

What is our primary use case?

We also use BigFix. Our primary use case for Tanium is for tool consolidation. Tanium is already equipped with multiple capabilities that BigFix has. These are almost parallel tools, running with similar kinds of capabilities. We are planning to flip to Tanium, which might primarily be used as a management solution. Overall, we use Tanium to interact and discover related queries. It is also used as our system information and event management tool.

What is most valuable?

I'm not so familiar with the tool but I like the interaction of the console to the picture. Patching is the primary model I have been focusing on for the last couple of weeks. So I have created a proof of concept environment and have been checking the available features.

What needs improvement?

Tanium comes with multiple models, so definitely the threat protection is the primary opportunity area my organization is looking for. It is going to be primarily used for event collection, which is being fed into our centralized tools for tracing any kind of vulnerability or any kind of uneven situation.

I have been using Tanium for six months.

In my area environment, we are using this for event collection. We are trying to explore the virtual environment and the compliance evaluation of overall tools. At the first stage, it captures very lightly from servers. It scans the event. They are pretty basic, so from a performance aspect, we have not seen any issues so far.

When we try to use it for patch deployment, we're going to deploy a bigger package and we'll see. We'll put more load on the environment then we'll see how efficient it is. But at this stage, we have not used it.

I have never interacted with technical support. At this stage, my subordinate group is handling it. But they are pretty satisfied with the experience.

Tanium has certain privileged features compared to BigFix.

It has offline patching.

It's definitely not complex. It is pretty user-friendly and it's a solid tool enterprise to use. It is equipped with whatever generic solutions are available within marketing a parallel kind of tool. There are a couple of other tool environments that give it a cutting edge. It is flexible.

The best part about it is that it is very fast in terms of deployment. It is fast in terms of gathering information but it works with a peer mechanism.

From a licensing perspective, it is a bit expensive if I do compare them with basic settings. It is nearly two or two and a half times more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

From a tool perspective, it is capable. I do not want to comment on how efficient it is because ultimately, I'm not aware of its capability. My opinion is that it is definitely a capable tool and it all depends on planning. It's about how to plan your implementation and leverage its available features. It is very fast. Asset discovery is also very fast.

I would rate Tanium a nine out of ten.

Most of the time, agent-relative issues have to be more equipped with self-healing features. At times, the agent is there, but for some reason, it doesn't report a status. It gives certain problems that are obviously agent-based.

More Tanium reviews from users