Tufin Review
Object look-up is valuable. When someone needs to know about a particular endpoint, we only need to type in the IP address.

What is most valuable?

Following installation, we mentioned to the SE what ports were on the rule already, and he responded that those were the right ports. So immediately, Tufin already saved us work. And there was already traffic to the destination of a requested rule that needed to just be added to another group. Previously, we would have had to make a new rule and type in the source destination ports. With Tufin, however, the group already existed and we just needed to add it to another group.

Object look-up is also valuable. When someone needs to know about a particular endpoint and what's allowed to it, we only need to type in the IP address and are then able to see every rule associated with that address line by line.

How has it helped my organization?

From the very beginning, Tufin has kept our rule set compact so that we don't have to keep stacking up rule after rule. We still have to analyze and find rules that are too open, but it helps use make the right rules in the right places.

It's also a huge deal to us to be able to see the configurations as they change over time, and to know which firewall is responsible for which segments. It allows us to look at all our firewalls at the same time and not have to SSH one after another. We've got it all right there with Tufin -- one pane of glass that shows us everything.

With new engineers to the company, I pull them aside and show them Tufin. Within one hour, they have all the information they need to start creating firewall rules. It's incredibly easy to use. I can't imagine life should it if it should go offline. It's made a huge difference for us.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see code provisioning.

It's been up for two years.

We had no issues with deployment.

I believe we had one reboot due to a code upgrade. This was only a single incident.

Our current machine handles all firewalls for one of our business units. We're at a point where we've ordered a larger one to handle 200 firewalls. We'll take the smaller one to have an additional collector. The scalability is very good.

Excellent.

These guys have been amazing. They will work tirelessly. I've only had a few calls, but every time I've had a call, the answer came through in a timely fashion and we got things sorted out. Usually it was user error, they told us, and they didn't lecture us about it.

We simply turned it on, gave it an IP address, and logged into that IP address. Getting it set up with other firewall was straightforward, as was setup for interoperation with Active Directory. We now have group-managed logins.

We looked at FireMon because it's able to analyze rules. But for daily, operational stuff, such as finding rules that already exist and which firewalls are involved, Tufin is much easier and more efficient to use. It was a no-brainer.

What other advice do I have?

It already does traffic analysis and secure change. We've got the secure app so we can keep track of the business critical things. They shouldn't change that. I love the left-hand pane, and being able to navigate that and being able to see things in the split pane on the right-hand side. There are other vendors out there who will decide I need to just have everything at the top and scroll down.

The best thing to do would be get all your firewalls in there and let it bake overnight. It does take some time to collect the data in the config files. Once that's done, teach your help desk staff and the firewall operators how to use this to look up existing conditions and to determine right away whether a rule needs to be made, or whether a group needs to be added, or whether the rule already exists.