Tufin Review

Reduces time to make changes and helps with compliance mandates, but it is resource-heavy

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for Change automation. We do not use USP, yet.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has somewhat helped us with meeting our compliance mandates. We’re still working on it, and it’s a work in progress, but we’re better than we were.

Using this solution has helped to reduce the time it takes us to make changes. Our average was about five business days, and we’re down to same-day delivery. For some of our environments like QA and non-production, where we allow changes during the day, they can be done right away.

Our engineers are spending significantly less time on manual processes.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is that it reduces both the time required and the number of errors when making changes. We reduced the time it takes to make a change from a week down to a few hours. It means that the business gets a faster turnaround time, and our group is not as much of an obstacle for getting things done. It reduced the change error, so there is a lot less manual work being done.

The automation provided by this solution has mostly eliminated the human error element.

The most powerful thing in Tufin is the ability to use the SecureChange API, where we can supplement our own functionality in addition to what is built-in.

What needs improvement?

There are some limitations in the product and we were unable to use the Clean Up reports.

We haven't been able to use the unified security policy and a lot of the violations and stuff like that. So, we're not getting a whole lot of visibility. Again, there are limitations there, so we haven't been able to deploy that yet.

USP does not support VPNs, which is a big thing for us, so we haven't been able to utilize it.

One thing that could be improved is the moving of data from one step to the next. As it is now, we have to manually do that via the API, but there should be a way to carry over data between the different steps without us having to code that.

It could definitely use some refinements and utilize fewer resources. It uses a lot of hardware to do not a whole lot of tasks.

This solution is stable. We don't have any issues with it, but it's a resource hog.

This solution is not entirely scalable, although we have a very small footprint, so we don't really need it to be. For our use case, it's okay. I think that the distributed architecture, which we don't use, would allow it to be a lot more scalable, but I haven't had any experience with that.

Technical support for this solution is good. We have a technical account manager and he's been right on point with most of our stuff. It's a fairly complex thing that went to R&D. It took some time, but that's to be expected.

The initial setup was completed before I was there, but I have heard that they had a lot of issues with setting up high availability. Other than that, it was pretty straightforward.

We used a G2 reseller for our deployment and it was a good experience.

Our licensing fees are approximately $250,000 USD.

What other advice do I have?

This solution checks a lot of the checkboxes, but it seems to be quite limited in some of the more advanced features that the firewalls do. This can be quite restrictive in terms of what you can and can't accomplish with it.

I have indeed referred two former co-workers at another company to look at this solution. I think that it would help them significantly.

The newer, more advanced features that we would like to use are just not supported by Tufin yet. I think that it's in their roadmap, but they just aren't there yet. Specifically, we are doing things like URL filtering, user identification, decryption, and inspection, which are typically done by devices other than firewalls. Palo Alto supports it, and we're using it, but it creates some complexity with the automation.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

See how Tufin can simplify your network security management

Find out how automation and orchestration of security policy management can help you increase agility and efficiency, while reducing risks and ensuring compliance and audit readiness. Request a Tufin demo today.