Tufin Review

Helps with auditing by proving what changes were done, when, and by whom

What is our primary use case?

We use it for rule re-certification and rule review. Twice a week, we use the Tufin report to see what changes or adds were done to the policies. Finally, we also use it for rule automation. We have it integrated with ServiceNow for rule requests.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our organization through the beginning of automation. It has also helped in terms of auditing. Tufin is a convenient way for us to show and prove what changes were done, when they were done, and by whom they were done.

Tufin also helps ensure that security policies are followed across our entire hybrid network. We use the USP, Universal Security Profile, which is governed by our cyber team. That team sets up the parameters and then, through the automation, when a request comes in, the first thing it does is check if it meets or violates. If it violates, it sends it right back to the requester. Another way we do it is that when somebody puts a request in, it goes through the USP. Then the cyber team combs through it to make sure that whatever service they're asking for can happen. For example, if someone wants Dev going to the internet, of course that's not going to happen. They'll filter all that out before it comes to us. Once it comes to us, we'll implement it, and then we comb through all the reports and make sure that nobody missed anything.

It also helps expedite changes.

What is most valuable?

The reports are very valuable. In terms of cleaning up firewall policies, we use Tufin to gather information in the reports. However, we don't automate Tufin to do the work. It's still done by a firewall engineer.

But the best feature for me is being able to look up objects within all of our policies, because we have a little over 12,000 rules and over 30,000 objects. When one person says, "Hey, where's my server?" I can just go to Tufin and say, "Hey, where is that server?" and very quickly it tells me where it is, what policy it's on. That is a life saver. Without that, I'd be a janitor.

The visibility it provides is also very good.

The change workload process is flexible and customizable. For example, we have it working with ServiceNow. When somebody requests to have a rule in place or requests a firewall, they will first go to ServiceNow and put all their information in. ServiceNow then sends that over to Tufin and Tufin does its magic - verifies the USPs and does the design. That part is simplified. However, there are little mechanics in between that could be a lot better.

We use the solution to automatically check if a change request would violate any security policies or rules. Our cyber team is on it as well. We comb through all the changes done for that rule and verify. Before we do a push, we verify that there was no compromise to our security posture.

What needs improvement?

For me, there are two things that can make Tufin a bit better. This could be something on my end that I don't understand or maybe it can already be done and I don't know, but the two things that I am hoping to get out of this couple of days here at Tufinnovate 2019 are: have a better focus on automation - automating a lot of the processes; and automating rule re-certification, or at least finding a way to simplify it.

In my industry, the banking industry, we're heavily regulated. Auditors are everywhere and they want everything accounted for. When I do a rule re-certification, I have to justify why that rule still there, who is using the rule, what's going on. Or if it hasn't been used, I want to get rid of it. But I don't want the onus to be on the firewall team. I want that onus to be on the person who requested the rule. I'm trying to figure out a way that I can have Tufin say, "Hey, look, John or Joan, your rules haven't been used in a year," or "Do you still require these rules or these servers?" and it would give them buttons to click, either "yes" or "no".

If they hit "no," Tufin would say, "Thanks very much," and disable them for 30 days, in case they made a mistake, and after 30 days, it would remove them. That type of automation would save us so much time. Right now, there are three people doing that job.

As an example with rules, when I look at a rule it will tell me how many days it was hit, when the last hit was, when it was last modified, but I can't get a creation date. What date was it created? It must know when it was created because it created an OUI for the rule. I asked support and they said, "Well, go here, go there, do this, spin your head and tap three times, and if you're lucky..." And I'm thinking, "Can you not just tell me the date it was created?" Then I could filter on those as well. Right now, I can't filter on rules that are over five years old, for example. Even when they're in use, I still want to see old rules. Maybe they've got old services that shouldn't be working anymore.

I would also like to see better logging.

SecureChange could be a bit better, at least with integration with ServiceNow or some of the other ticketing tools.

The scalability is amazing. We have it in two data centers. We have full redundancy with it. I have no qualms about its scalability, whatsoever.

Technical support has been very good. I've dealt with Professional Services and I dealt with a programmer when we did our ServiceNow with Tufin. They were really good; two of the best guys. Top-notch. My Professional Services guy is awesome. He's my go-to guy. The other gentleman, whose name is Neil, was really good. He was very kind, very accommodating, top-notch.

The switch to Tufin was done before I got to this company, but if I had to guess, I imagine somebody tried to jump out of the window or thought, "I'm going to go nuts if I have to look up one object in a pool of 30,000 and 8,000 rules." It's over 80 firewalls.

The initial setup was complex because we had to integrate with ServiceNow. That's what made it complex. Tufin would say, "Hey, we can do this," and ServiceNow would say, "Yeah, we can't do that." Or ServiceNow would say, "We do it this way," and Tufin would reply, "Yeah, that's not going to happen."

If it was just a stand-up and write some custom workflows, that would have been a lot easier.

We had a vendor or reseller with us, but they didn't have much experience with the size of network we have, so they were more listening in and trying to get experience while things were going on. I'm okay with that. At the end of the day, it was the Tufin guys who actually brought it all together.

If we look at the cost of a firewall engineer and the time saved as return on investment, we have seen a return. If we didn't have Tufin at all and the work that I'm doing now had to be done manually, those hours are about a four-to-one ratio. So that is a return on investment.

The cost is too much. For us it's around $40,000.

What other advice do I have?

I've already recommended Tufin to other people, absolutely. There was another company that has Check Point, I'd meet with them at Check Point expos and we'd talk. I would tell them I'm doing the rule re-cert with the bank and tell them, "Get Tufin." The first thing you want to do is get SecureTrack. Get it set up, get it working. Then you can grow from there. If you don't know what's going on with all the policies, you're blowing your brains out. I always recommend Tufin.

We're working on getting the solution to help us meet our compliance mandates. That's one of my projects, starting this year.

In my opinion, the solution’s cloud-native security features are good. I just don't have anything to compare them to. I can't say I have worked with AlgoSec or FireMon so I can't compare Tufin and say, "Oh, you guys are much better than that guy." Tufin is the only product I've worked with in policy management.

Tufin is better than the way we're using it. I firmly believe that we're not using it to its full capability. It's like having a Ferrari in the garage but using it to go get groceries. Someone might look at it and say, "Oh my God, we could be on the Autobahn, flying." And I say, "Yeah, I know, but I need groceries." I don't think we're using it to its full potential. However, from what I'm seeing now, and in future developments based on this conference, it's going in the right direction.

I would rate it at eight out of ten. We are strictly a Check Point shop for firewalls. We don't have other vendors. I can see where, if I had Palo Altos and Fortinets and Ciscos, Tufin would be Godsend. I wouldn't have to go combing through every vendor. Whereas for us, it's already together. That may be why I don't rate higher.

See it in Action