VxBlock System Review

A high-performance replacement for our legacy data center in a single cabinet

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution in our clearance and distribution department.

We are using this solution for virtualization with Hyper-V. Our entire infrastructure is Hyper-V, and it's working fine. We have a twenty-eight blade system with E-SATA storage, which is fantastic and very fast.

This is an on-premises deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

We completely replaced our old data center using this solution. We used to have around one hundred and fifty blades, two storage devices, two Cisco SAN Directors, and a lot of fibre cables. We have replaced all of this with just two VxBlock cabinets. It is very fast and very neat. There are no wires outside.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the speed. We have a legacy data center that is separated from the blades. It used to be very slow, and now it is very fast.

We have had no trouble with backups.

What needs improvement?

This solution does not support Hyper-V, and we would like the new version to be supported and certified to work with Hyper-V. It only supports VMware. We need this as a virtualization solution for the hardware.

We have been using this solution for about one year.

This is a stable solution.

Our experience has been very good and we are considering increasing our usage of this solution by adding blades. Our local partner has told us that we can extend this solution using another cabinet.

We do not contact technical support directly. Rather, we go through our partner for which we have a support contract. Our local partner takes care of monitoring the status of our system.

If we need to then we are able to open support tickets.

We replaced our entire legacy data center using this solution.

There was an issue because of the Hyper-V, but after it was configured, everything worked very nicely.

We had a VMware group from the UAE assist us with the implementation.

We purchased this solution with a ten-year manufacturer warranty, and we have a three-year warranty with our local partner.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend for others.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is that the vision for technology is always changing. As administrators, we worry about new technology because if one thing goes wrong in a cabinet that contains everything, how much will be affected? So far, nothing has happened and everything is working nicely. It is very good.

This solution ships from the manufacturer with VMware, but our Hyper-V is working fine. We expected to have an issue, but it works.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.