WatchGuard XTM [EOL] Review

What is most valuable?

• Firewall
  • Policies

How has it helped my organization?

This product has helped in securing my SQL database and web applications from DDoS attacks and SQL injections. Also, I managed to create an IPSEC VPN between this device and a Fortinet device which is great as it helps me to do backup between my datacenters remotely without physically going down to them. It has also improved my network speed and also helped me to set specific policies for specific applications which I couldn't do with other products.

What needs improvement?

The web interface is easy to use but it looks complicated and could be simplified. Also it's lacking a feature to key in description for host IP addresses, and I think we need that to identify certain IP addresses.

I've used it for one year.

I was new to a new interface it took me a while to learn it.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

6/10.

8/10.

Previously, I was using Fortinet, and I switched as it had low security for web applications.

It was complex because my network has many subnets, so creating policies for each one was a challenge.

We implemented it with a mixed team consisting of the vendor and in-house staff. I would rate the vendor 6/10.

This product is something essential for the whole infrastructure of the company so I guess the ROI is 100%

15,000SGD

We also looked at a Fortinet 100D.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to go ahead with it as its robust and easy to use with other products in the network.

535
More WatchGuard XTM [EOL] reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about WatchGuard, Fortinet, Netgate and others in Firewalls. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.
3 Comments

author avatarit_user201144 (Gerente de Servicios y Proyectos)

You should install DIMENSION and Active Directory integration to identify IP

author avatarit_user230592 (Head of Information Technology with 51-200 employees)

If you use a allowed list of ip address for certain services like FTP you don't have an option to label these ips, for example lets say you want to give access to my organisation ip in your policy when you add my ip to the allowed list you cannot put a label for ip to identify whether it belongs to who i find it as a drawback.

author avatarit_user316026 (System Engineer at a security firm with 51-200 employees)

Hello Ajay,

If I have understood you right, then you want to have a name for teh list of IP addresses in the from or to field of the policy. If I am right you can do that by creating an Aliases for those IPs and add that aliase while creating the policy. For example, if you have 5 ip addresses from site A which you want to add to a policy then jut create a pre-define aliase name "Site-A" and make those IPs member of that aliase. Then simply add that aliase in the policy. If you need details, how to create aliases then please let me know.

If you are using WebUI then my suggestion would me download the Watchguard system manager on your management computer and use that for managing the WG devices. It may take some time to get use to it but it will make your life easier in long run.