WatchGuard XTM [EOL] Review

Application Signature doesn't work well, but we do have better monitoring of our users' internet usage.

What is most valuable?

We are using WatchGuard's SSO feature to help us track user access. From there, we can drill down the reports, and we can the details we need such as what websites a user goes to, or which websites are accessed the most.

How has it helped my organization?

We now have the capability to manage traffic better by putting non-business critical traffic into the small bucket, while business critical traffic gets higher priority.

What needs improvement?

1. We still haven't got the Terminal Service agent to work in our Citrix environment
  2. Application Signature also doesn't work well especially in SSL traffic

We have had this solution for just over one year.

I believe we were one of the first companies that implemented SSO. We had continuous issues when we first implemented it, and we needed to log calls with Watchguard. They released two new firmware versions in order to resolve the issue.

The support is not the best, but it is good enough. Not everyone has the right skills, so make sure to ask them to escalate it if it has taken too much time to resolve the issue.

We used both Juniper SRX and TMG. We replaced Juniper because it is hard to troubleshoot as there is no real-time traffic monitoring, and we replaced TMG because it was end of life.

Apart from SSO, the setup was really easy and straightforward. With the firmware that they have now, SSO should not be an issue anymore.

We did it ourselves, and we only asked a third party to verify oour configuration.

We also looked at Sophos.

515 & 535 firmware 11.9.4
More WatchGuard XTM [EOL] reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about WatchGuard, Fortinet, Netgate and others in Firewalls. Updated: July 2021.
521,690 professionals have used our research since 2012.
1 Comment

author avatarit_user476478 (Director of IT with 501-1,000 employees)

We have XTM M400 now for over 5 months and love it.
Implementation was done by me with the help of outside contractor.
We like functionality and easy access to firewall and configuration which I had to block it from other technicians in the company. We purchased two firewalls one main and other as active/standby configuration. I stopped users from saturating network with video and audio sites which was a problem before.